oil cooled computer!

Wow that is alot of useful information, well technically it's not useful but don't take that as critisizm what so ever. it is very good information and interesting, and u were focusing it 2 people who mentioned dry ice not me so yea actually it was useful :) lol. i do think thats really cool and i'm just as exicted as everyone else 2 try out the oil cooling ^^ if everyone didn't kno me and mr. feesh will be the 2 people doing this "experament" as we call it lol. i kinda wish i had a slightly better processor 2 use becides a P II (266MHz) but i am curious 2 see how much we can overclock it, anyone wanna guess on how much we can OC it?! that'd b a fun guessing game would it not?

MooseMan said:
Wow that is alot of useful information, well technically it's not useful but don't take that as critisizm what so ever. it is very good information and interesting, and u were focusing it 2 people who mentioned dry ice not me so yea actually it was useful :)

Well I know that some ppl have oc'd an Athlon 64 FX-55 past 3.5 Ghz with dry ice. :) So it's definitely usefull, not as good as ln though. But yes, the same with ln2, it's not ment for running constantly, it's just a way to get huge overclocks. The guys which I mentioned earlier, oc'd a Pentium 4 660 past 6Ghz with ln2 and they said that basicly u needed to add more ln all the time.

people have gotten FX-57s to 4.0+Ghz on a cascade (a multi-stage LN2) People in Japan have gotten a P4 670 past 7Ghz.

ownage said:
people have gotten FX-57s to 4.0+Ghz on a cascade (a multi-stage LN2) People in Japan have gotten a P4 670 past 7Ghz.

Haven't heard of the fx-57, but I don't doubt the possibility. And ofcourse u get higher with ln than with dry ice. And it's a different processor.
And the japanese guy who oc'd his p4 670 (again a different processor) couldn't boot into an OS with it. He was able to go to bios but when tried to boot into windows the whole thing crashed. Atleast that's what happened the 1st times, maybe he has sorted it out now. :)

But I'd say that if u make a huge oc with any type of cpu it's not going to be cheap, since u need to add ln alot.

And kkevvy, nice article. The only thing I don't get is why they would use a block of dry ice? :confused: The way I've seen it used is small pieces of it into a same kind of tube as with ln2 cooling. Then some ppl like to add some liquid in there so it will work better.

If you cool the PC with veggie oil, then the CPU gets boiling hot, the oil will get in fire as it is flammable.

Now now, don't run to gas your engine with oil...it will most likely to freeze

lhuser said:
If you cool the PC with veggie oil, then the CPU gets boiling hot, the oil will get in fire as it is flammable.

Veggie oil is flammable? Well it has to get really how before it starts to burn. I've used olive oil (and other veggie oils) in cooking, like most ppl have. Yet I have never see it get in fire. And the frying pan is way past 100C.

Oh, and actually I heard that some diesel engines are capable of running with some kind of vegetable oil. But that means that it has to burn. So I gues that u are right, but the temps need to be quite big.

mammikoura said:
Well I know that some ppl have oc'd an Athlon 64 FX-55 past 3.5 Ghz with dry ice. :) So it's definitely usefull, not as good as ln though. But yes, the same with ln2, it's not ment for running constantly, it's just a way to get huge overclocks. The guys which I mentioned earlier, oc'd a Pentium 4 660 past 6Ghz with ln2 and they said that basicly u needed to add more ln all the time.
yea i realized as i was typing how important it was, i even corrected myself :p but it was also very interesting as well, thats the main reason i liked it ^_^ as far as flamable-ness of veggie oil goes, the processor isn't going 2 go over 100C so there is no worry about the oil catching flame.

lhuser said:

WTF... the oil will burn... combust!!! like some kind of chip pan fire?!?
Most board have thermal protection, this shut down if they get too hot...

Chips fry at 450 degrees C...
even the hottest Air cooled cpu doesn't get much above 60 -80 degrees C before things start to go wrong!!

Regarding the electrical conductivity, That was just an assumption that I made...

I think this is pretty damned cool idea now...

10Litres of oil from a supermarket will not cost too much...

the information that oil cools better than air is next to useless because it's so obvious, hence why engines have oild cooling systems...

I'm still not entierly sure how you intend to circulate the oil... but whatever you do, try to do it gently... oil is very viscious, and churning it too much could cause iar bubbles to form, which would really ruin the look of it...

dude. no one can get the fx 57 that high because it would lock up. it has a oc ing point and it will just lock up so its impossible to get it to six ghz.

Oil burns. Imagine oil bein spilled on the stove where you coock. That thing can explode. I dare you to try it

Back
Top Bottom