Connecting with Real VNC

thetrukillat

Beta member
Ok, I want an easy an easy way to access my music on my home computer while i'm at school. My school has vnc installed on all the computers. I installed it on my computer here at home and i went to school and typed in my ip, however it wouldn't connect, it says it timed out. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. Can anyone help?

do you have vnc server running on your home computer? you have to have that running before you can access it. and also firewalls might have something to do with it, you or the school computer might be running firewalls that prevent you from connecting.

I have vnc server running on my computer at home. I'm not running any firewalls except for the one on my dsl modem. My dsl modem automatically set up an Ip filter so that any thing trying to connect under the VNC default port will be able to connect. However i found something interesting. When i put my mouse over the vnc server icon, it says: 192.168.254.1 which would be the ip my modem gives my computer(obviously not my computers actual ip)...i'm guessing static ip that my isp uses. I'm not sure what to do with that, other than i'm sure thats what my problem is. As for the school, i'm sure they have firewalls, but an interesting note, i can connect to any computer in the school as long as i know the cp's ip. No i'm not a hacker :p , i just found something that the computer tech didn't want me to find and i want to take advantage of it by accessing my music while i'm at school in one of my study halls!

is your computer behind a router? that ip looks like the ip that a router would assign to a computer on a network, not an ip that would be assigned to you by your isp. in any case, vnc needs to know your ip from your isp.
the ip for my router is 192.168.1.1 and my computers ip's on the network are 192.168.1.102 and 192.168.1.103 which are very similar to the ip that you stated above.

No i'm not behind a router. I don't know if all dsl modems are like this but i can connect to my dsl modem and change settings, kinda like a router. Anyways, i'm guessing that my dsl modem is assigning that ip to my computer. Go on about what you said how "vnc needs to know your ip from your isp"

I'm not sure about vnc, since I haven't used it in a long time, but isn't there a place in the options where you can change the ip? go to http://www.ipchicken.com and find out your ip address.....that is the ip that you should be connecting to.

I know my computers ip, but when i go to comand promt and type in "ipconfig" it gives me the ip 192.168.254.1 and apparently thats the ip that vnc is using.

I use VNC on a regualr basis to update my other computer without actually having to go to and what not. So here's what you migth need to do.

On your home computer, run VNS SERVER. Then right click on the VNC logo and select OPTIONS. Then go into connections and make sure the defualt port is 5900 and that you accept invites on that port.

Next, make sure you don't have a password set up, or you can set one up I just don't use one because no one knows my IP! After that, when you're at school, run VNC VIEWER. Then when it says enter IP, put in your homes IP address. Click on connect. You should connect. If you don't then you need to figure out why your IP from your school isn't being transfered to your IP at home. Either that or someone at home is on that computer or VNC itself closed.

I had that, but VNC gives your LAN IP address, and not your Internet IP address. Windows will give your Ethernet cards IP address, which will be the one which VNC gives. Thats not your online one.

prosser13 said:
I had that, but VNC gives your LAN IP address, and not your Internet IP address. Windows will give your Ethernet cards IP address, which will be the one which VNC gives. Thats not your online one.

Thats my exact problem. Is there any way to fix that? I know my computers IP but it does not match the one that VNC is using.

Back
Top Bottom