can 2 pep use 1 cable connection?

Amd64

Baseband Member
i have comcast cable, and 2 modems... one is running... can i hook the other modem up the the same cable, and a different computer? and have 2 go online?

yeah you can, but you have to have 2 seperate IP addresses, and that means paying for another connection with your isp. the easier way to do this, (i'm pretty sure), that if your modem has an ethernet connection as well as a usb connection, you could hook up a computer to each. or if you don't mind spending money, you could buy a router.

yea a router works fine. i know because i have 2 comps on the same connection and you do need 2 sep ips but you dont have to pay for them. but i don think you can use 2 modems

yeah, I have dsl and I have 2 modems also (don't know why, they just sent me two, by mistake I think). I tried plugging one in downstairs, worked fine, then when I tried plugging the one in upstairs it worked fine also, but then I went downstairs and that one had gotten disconnected when I plugged the other one in.

I'd say that ur best bet is to get a router. With a router u can have as many pc's as u want using the same dsl.

I would definitely say just go with the router. That way you don't have to worry about setting up various IP addresses or paying extra with Comcast. The last thing u want iz for them 2 charge extra per month when you can just cop the good ol' router

i got a router, and a hub... and i run my puter off the hub, and it works... the other puter , it gives it a different ip adress and all that, but it does not connect to the net....

well i kno my moden will not work when u use both usb and ethranet with it. both connections will cancel eachother out. lol, i've got a motorola surfboard modem. it seems 2 work pretty nice though. i barly ever loose internet with cox (isp) i'm actually suprised they havn't spanned across all 48 consiguious(sp) states! anyone else ever herd of cox?

Got it to work..... i use this prog called DC++ and it dont seem to work anymore, something to do with my ip, or bein behind a firewall... does a router act as a firewall?

Amd64 said:
Got it to work..... i use this prog called DC++ and it dont seem to work anymore, something to do with my ip, or bein behind a firewall... does a router act as a firewall?

Yes it does. But unless u have set the port filter thingy on then it isn't the problem. Just go to dc++ and find the active/passive (or something like that) from the settings. (most likely in some network stuff) IF u have it active check that the ip is correct. Go to www.whatismyip.com and then use the ip it gives u there. If it doesn't work then try setting it to passive and see what happens.
The only difference is that with passive u can't download stuff from other passives.

Back
Top Bottom