windows does not detect hard drive

badbjd

Beta member
I had a computer that was up in the showroom of my dealership and it had no windows os on it. It was used just to play videos for the new cars. I am trying to load windows xp on it but it says that it cannot detect the hard drive. The jumpers are right the cabling is right and everything has power. What am I missing??? Everything in the cmos is like it should be, it boots from the xp cd and starts going through setup then it comes to the scree where it says to install xp press enter and when I do it says windows did not detect a hard drive. Thanks.

Mostly interested in what hdd it is but u should always post the specs of the computers. However without that info I'd say that u have a SATA hdd and u haven't installed the drivers for it.

SATA isn't a problem that i know of, i used a SATA hardrive and windows detected that just fine. Are you sure that the jumprrs on the hardrive are right? go into the bios and see if it detects it.

*note* before you try this make sure that your hdd isnt just dead by going into bios and making sure that it detects it

Hmmm well this sounds Excatly like a SATA hdd with no drivers installed....try finding out what HDD and Motherboard make you have (try and look for serial codes on the motherboard and type them into google) Basically if your Hdd is SATA windows Xp needs a silcon image driver loaded onto a Floopy disk to reconise the hard disk....in order to do this download the silicon image drivers (here if u cant find a specific motherboard driver for them: http://www.siliconimage.com/support/downloadcenter.aspx) boot them to a floopy using another pc. Then when install windows Tap f6 when asked if you want to install Additional devices, then press S when ask to speicify additional device load your floppy press enter and high and press enter on the relevent drivers....then complete suetup as normal

hope this helps

Speedydowt, do those drivers have support for Intel and VIA chipsets too? Somewhere you can download a copy of all three types of chipset's drivers, small enough for a floppy. If you want, I'll find a copy. PM me if you want them badbjd :D

it is an ata 40 gig maxtor hdd, the bios detects it fine. Thinking about using it for parts...I need a new dvd rom drive and more mem for my othe pc.... Dont really know any other specs with out tearing in to it, I will have to do that later. thanks

yeah, it probably just needs to be formatted. you'll be able to do that with the XP cd

Back
Top Bottom