oil cooled computer!

yeah, Dry ice would kick, ass, but more logicly, liquid nitro.. its used by the government only because no one else can afford it. i mean people gotta place the nitro containers in a different room, and its just crazy shit, cause you gotta have alotta nitro, to keep it cirulating, but also making sure its cool... and well that would be really kick ass. with that you would get record temps..

dry ice = carbon dioxide..
liquid nitro = almost similar looking substance as dry ice.. however it isnt the same :)

Almost similer looking, but hella cold, and when warmed up, it takes forever to cool, thats why you need so much of it, and the cooler in the other room. only the govenerment has the time and cash for this.. tho i was talkin with someone one time that had it.. he dedicated his life to tha computer. it was awesome..

Be sure to post the results! Haha, I'm actually kinda anxious to see what happens...I guess since it's not my computer that's getting oil on it, so yeah. :p

yeah some really serious oc'ers have it i read about it sumwhere i can't remember :S but gl with ur oil o_O don't c how that will work but hey

arrizx said:
yeah, Dry ice would kick, ass, but more logicly, liquid nitro.. its used by the government only because no one else can afford it. i mean people gotta place the nitro containers in a different room, and its just crazy shit, cause you gotta have alotta nitro, to keep it cirulating, but also making sure its cool... and well that would be really kick ass. with that you would get record temps..

Dude what are u talking about?

setup.jpg

Thats a liquid nitrogen cooler. (only there is no stuff in atm) There is lot's of ppl who is ln2 (don't as me where that 2 comes from) as their cooling. And so expensive that only the goverment can affor it? I'm sorry but that really makes me laugh. I can get 10 liters of ln for about 150€. Even I can afford it. Not if I'd use it all the time, but that 10 liters will last for many hours. And ln2 is ment to get huge overclocks, not for fulltime use.

I'm probably going to fix up an dry ice cooling someday, asap, but it might take alot of time.

vegetable oil will probably short because (If I remember correctly) it's conductive...

Putting oil in place of water in a cooling system (however) is a good idea since oil is more conductive (thermally) than water, so the transfer of heat will be more efficient...

I'd recomend a high grade thin oil with a high thermal conductivity... cutting oil would be ideal since it's meant to be thin and thermally conductive to aid with the cutting of metals...
I've read on other forums that mineral oils are good as well.

disclaimer is that I'm no expert, so don't blame me if you break everything.

There are lots of tanks of Liquid Nitrogen here, (I work in a uni)... though I'm yet to meet any chemists that are excited enough about extreeme cooling /overclocking that they will let me steal some...

well i've looked ^ on the oil somewhat and oil will work, Mr.Feesh already tried putting a fan in the oil and it still ran so it'll be fine, were not going 2 put the cd drive, hardrive, or powersupply in the oil. as long as we can keep the oil circulating and nothing does go wrong with power then we ought 2 be fine, were going 2 most likley use an old P II processor from my old gateway 2000 lol :p 266MHz isn't that amazing!! lol :p

Vegetable oil works fine as an insulator and has been used before for OC'ing: http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000287041976/

Should be far superior to air for cooling, probably best if you can circulate it somehow but probably not too important. Try and have as large a surface area as possible between the oil and the air. Also, put the oil in your freezer overnight before hand so you start at sub-zero temperatures !

Keep us updated if you do it !

yea were going to continue on with it as far as i know. although we also need some oc software if anyone knows and easy 2 use. i kno speedfan supports it but i don't know how 2 use it... so that would be good, and also we are going 2 circulate the oil with giant fans, from some old servers lol :p

Back
Top Bottom