video core clock speeds

MeTzenAs1

In Runtime
Hey guys, my MSI 6600gt (AGP)'s core clock is 500, and memory clock is 900. The only difference between agp and pci express (with this card) is the memory clock goes up to 1000. Thats not my question though. I was looking to upgrade and maybe getting a pci express mobo, therefor will need a new video card. So I am looking at 6800gt, (I know I should get 7800 and maybe even looking at ati) but I still got a question. It says the core clock for the 6800gts is usually around 350. That seems a bit low, I know the pixi shadingl is double at 16 instead of 8. And It is 256mb, but shouldn't the core clock still be either equal or higher. Or maybe its just my particular brand of card, because the msi 6600gts were made for oc'n. (Even though I don't)

Any one have more info than I do on this topic. This isn't for a suggestion on what kind of video card I can get.. Just on why the core clock seems to be lower on a more advanced card.

"for tha horde"

well 1st if u are going to go with the 6800 series go with GS. It's very much the same as 6800GT, but it is way cheaper.

As for the clock speeds.
The cards (like for example the 6600GT and the 6800GT) are based on different cores. The newer (and better) cores can give better performance with lower clock speeds. U can compare it with processors: Amd Athlon 4000+ which is very powerfull singel core runs at 2.4Ghz. And to me 2.4Ghz doesn't seem that high.

Back
Top Bottom