dual channel memory

Dual Channel RAM gives you about a 7% performance increase :)

Socket 754 is no slower than 939, the only real difference is the cores and the RAM configurations. If you got a 3000+ 939 and a 3200+ 754, the 3000+ would give you an extra 5 - 8 frames per second. The reason it can run slower is because they upgraded the memory controller :D 939 is the way to go at the moment though :p

so i can use any 2 memory chips and teh bios will make them dualchanneled? or do the memory chips have to be certain ones, like are they made to be dual channel?

they have to be made to be dual channel like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890 see how it says 2x512mb dual channel kit? thats what u need to get cause u cant just buy 2 512 sticks of ram and try putting them in dual channel cause it wont work and i think the performance increase is more than 7% because what it does is double the bandwidth so it can send twice as much information

gaming_freak said:
they have to be made to be dual channel like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146890 see how it says 2x512mb dual channel kit? thats what u need to get cause u cant just buy 2 512 sticks of ram and try putting them in dual channel cause it wont work and i think the performance increase is more than 7% because what it does is double the bandwidth so it can send twice as much information
alright, thanks. i dont know why i thought i could just get 2 of the same sticks and have dc like that. oh well. thanks tho

Well, if you're not lucky, you could get sticks that are on the end of one manufacturing line and the beginning of another, and they may not be compatible for dual channel.

could i get 2x dual 512 kits to make it up 4G? would it all work together nicly or would it lower the speed on all sticks? i take it htat all sticks would ahve to be the same manufactorer and type

You mean 2GB? Well, the only downside is that the command rate will be forced to 2T instead of 1T. That's why it's better to get 2x1GB sticks.

yeah 2G sry. so would that be the case if i got four sticks of 1G (not that i want to as it would be overkill, i was just wondering)

Back
Top Bottom