Case fan questions

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Which one would you get: a single 120mm fan or 2x 80mm fans and why? Yes, this is related to my decsion in buying a new case.

I would say 1 120mm fan if you are concerned about noise. 120mm move more air at lower rpm's so they are quieter. But if you arent really concerned about noise then go with the 2 80mm's.

2X80mm personally, look at the additive cfm for the 2 80mms and then look at the cfm on th e120mm. Also 80mm fit better, and with 2 fans you can create airflow more effectively. Also you can put one cooling at the chipset/cpu or the videocard , or ram, whatever you feel, with a single 120mm you are limited on the quality of cooling on certain parts that arent directly in its airflow path.

1 x 120mm is quieter, as they can spin at a slower RPM and move more air.

2 x 80mm minimises the dead spot when they are one above the other, but are much louder but move more air.

If you have a fan controller, get 2 x 80mm and put them near low. If you don't, get the 120mm.

120mm is better in my opinion :D If you have a 80mm/92mm/120mm mount, get a 120mm fan :D

I'd go with 2x 80mm. They will move more air, and if there is too much noise just slow them down a little. And as already mentioned u can get better airflow with placing 2 fans than with 1.

I was looking at some of the specs and I found out that a single 120mm fan pushes our more CFM than 2x 80mm. The reference case in mind is the Lian case that has the front fans. They have options for 2x 80mm front fans or a single 120mm front fan. But if that's the case (with the 120mm fan pushing out more than 2x 80mm), then wouldn't people be picking the 120mm one? Like what Amishkid was referring to the noise level of 2x 80mm and the lack of CFM of their combined effort when compared to a 120mm.

It depends what 80mm and 120mm you get. If you got 2 silent 80mm, and a Vantec Tornado or something like that, then the 80mm ones would push out less air than the 120mm one. Get a 120mm one defo :D

prosser13 said:
It depends what 80mm and 120mm you get. If you got 2 silent 80mm, and a Vantec Tornado or something like that, then the 80mm ones would push out less air than the 120mm one. Get a 120mm one defo :D

Yeah, actually the it depends more on other stuff than on the size. The 1st 80mm fan I found in newegg had an airflow of 84.1 cfm, which is better than most of the 120mm ones. But then again the noise would be huge.

Does insane hornet mean anything to ya'll? An 80mm or 2 80mm make way too much nosie at any rpm. The 120mm having larger blades will move as much or more than 2 80mm. With a lot less noise.

setishock said:
Does insane hornet mean anything to ya'll? An 80mm or 2 80mm make way too much nosie at any rpm. The 120mm having larger blades will move as much or more than 2 80mm. With a lot less noise.

lol well I've got 7x80mm fans in case! 4 front, 1 side, 2 rear! I dont hear it much! if you do you just need to turn up the tunes!!!

it completely depends on the specific fans, some 120s will be more effective and quieter, but 2 80s could be more powerful and quieter.

thinking about it the main things that will affect the fans are:
-blade area
-rpm
-size of the blank spot in middle where the motor is

i think overall the 80s would be the better option, because the size of blade area and blank spot must be pretty similar in 2 80s as in 1 120. so the high rpm being the reason id go with 80s! but if you fear "insane hornet" well might not be best option
if you can get detailed specs of the fans and compare! but improbable!

hmmm this post has developed with thought lol

J

Back
Top Bottom