Mobility... Is there an AMD equivalent to Centrino?

un4given1

In Runtime
I have a Centrino 715 right now but I'm looking to buy a new laptop but smaller, for mobility.
I'm looking at Centrino but I was wondering if AMD has an equivalent. I love how the Centrino doesn't heat up (almost none!) and uses less battery than the P4. I used to have an AMD mobile athlon but it wasn't the same, heated up and sucked battery. :(
Any suggestions? I need mobility! Less heat, less battery!

AMD Turion 64 MT-28 is AMD's lowest power laptop CPU as far as I know.

If you can find a VIA C7-M anywhere, then get that, seriously, it rocks when it comes to heat and mobility. At 2GHz, it consumes a maximum of 20 watts, but only consumes 0.1W idle, and 1W during light operation, such as web-browing or playing DVD's.

only problem w/ Turions is that you have to use a integrated GPU, I was looking and I can find one that allows you to use like a x700 or anything but a xpress 200 integrated graphics car.

i would say stick with the pentium-m. they are the best in the mobile market right now. If you want, you could get a Yonah which is the dual core version of the Dothan. It is almost as good as the X2 3800+ while consuming less power.

Yonah owns all with it's 65nm dual-core awesomeness! :D It performs a LITTLE bit worse than a AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ in most tasks while consuming WAY less power. Definately worth getting. :D

I'm not really familiar with VIA's C7-M, but it sounds interesting. Care to brief me on it? :)

EDIT>>> Gar, stupid Ownage...always posting the same thing before me. Yeah, I apperantly didn't read his post, so sorry about the "repeat".

hahaha, C7-M isnt that great of a processor, sure it cosumes like no power, but does it have enough processing power to compete with AMD and Intel? The Pentium M could almost beat and AMD in gaming. Can the C7-M do that?

What is it with power? I don't get it. I would kill for a C7-M CPU. I could probably get about 6 hours battery life.

C7-M OWNS Turion 64 and Pentium M. And unless you've seen any benchmarks, I don't believe your claims, cause VIA C7-M has a lot of performance features.

But as long as it can do web-browing, instant-messaging, and play a video all at the same time smoothly, I don't mind, and I'm sure C7-M can do that.

Anyway, check out www.abspc.com They have a Turion MT notebook with an X700 GPU which looks pretty hot.

It really depends what you need. For those who need ultralight/business portables, the C7-M's power saving features are nice. But for those who are more for other things like gaming, the Pentium M would own. Especially when the Yonah is released.

My take on it is get a VIA C7-M notebook, UNLESS you really need the extra power offered from Centrino or Turion.

Cool. I'll do some reasearch on it though...VIA aren't as widely known in the CPU market as they are in the Chipset sector.

Back
Top Bottom