Is my Computer good enough to support a X850 XT?

Josh Rider1

Solid State Member
Hello, this is my first post here. I'm not really much of a genious when it comes to computers, so bear with me. I've been thinking lately of updating my graphics card since the one I have now is pretty much utter ****. Here are my computer specs(or atleast what I understand of them):

HP Pavillion a456c

-Intel Pentium 4E 3Ghz Proccesor with Hyper-Threading Technology
-512 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM memory
-160 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive
-64 MB Integrated Graphics poopy

My computer runs most programs extremely well, with the exception of graphics. What is the best way to make my computer faster and play games better. Also, would my computer be enough to support a good graphics card?

If you want an X850XT PE then you need to see if you have either an AGP 8x slot or a PCI-E slot. If you do then buy the AGP or PCI-E version and you'll be good to go.

1337DuD3 said:
If you want an X850XT PE then you need to see if you have either an AGP 8x slot or a PCI-E slot. If you do then buy the AGP or PCI-E version and you'll be good to go.

I have a AGP 8x slot but not a PCI-Express. I have another question. Should I update my RAM to 1 GB? Would it make a big difference?

Feircepc said:
you also need a 500watt power supply.

Not really, a 400 wat should do.... while your at it.... why not a cheaper solution.Nvidia's 6600gt or 6800gs

EDIT: right when i posted this i noticed the thread starter replyed haha...

K here you go... right now here it is,

since you have an AGP slot id say you should got for a Nvidia 6600gt, 6600GS or gt. As for the 1 gb upgrade, yes and no... since you buying this new videocard it seems as if you are a active gamer and would like to do some good quality gamming. in this case it would help greatly to upgrade to 1 gb if you play game such as hl2 bf2.... heavy games.

pfft, not even a 400.. i'm running my x850xt AGP on a 350 watt and having no problems

with a 500watt he would have moer upgradability room. plus he has different things running. he also has a intel processor which from what i beleive consumes a more than an amd does. so he would be a lot safer with a 500watt.

Bah you don't need a new power supply. If you have at least a 350W you should be OK. I used to run with this setting on a 300W PSU...

P4 @ 2.8Ghz
ATi Radeon X700
1 gig of RAM
2 HDDs
ASUS P4P800S

So if a 300 Watter can run that then by all means an X850Xt can run on a 350W PSU.

As for the upgrade to ram. Yes, upgrade your RAM to as much as possbile, the more ram, the better.

You may want to explore your options and consider a better video card then the X850XT, which would be a 6800GS or a 7800GT. In that case however, get a new PSU.

Back
Top Bottom