Network Engineering?

Ok, I'm kind of debating what I should do after high school. So far I have a few things that I want to do...

A) Join the Army
B)Go to College and take computer affiliated classes

Only thing is, I have NO idea what I would do with computers and what not. I was reading a book about Network Engineers and it was pretty cool with the VPNs WANs and LANs and all that good stuff. But what does the position really do?

Basically, what can a network engineer do? Does he hook up the cables and enable networks, is he the admin, what exactly can and does he do. If there's anyone who really knows about networking and what kind of high paying jobs titles there are with networking, that would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

heya! im a network engineer/administrator!! perhaps i can help you!

an engineer basically sets up the networks.installs the pcs, its more a hardware side of networking. A network administrator is in charge of making sure the network is up and running, like users can log on, info is available, giving users permissions, creating group policies etc etc

thats basically the difference. the jobs are high paying if your in a good company ;)

i wanna be a Geek Squad member. all they do is basically go to peoples house and fix their computer and setting up a network and those kinda of stuff.

Natalya said:
heya! im a network engineer/administrator!! perhaps i can help you!

an engineer basically sets up the networks.installs the pcs, its more a hardware side of networking. A network administrator is in charge of making sure the network is up and running, like users can log on, info is available, giving users permissions, creating group policies etc etc

thats basically the difference. the jobs are high paying if your in a good company ;)

I am also interested in a career in computers. I already have a B.S. degree, but it's not computer related. What training/education would you recommend to become employable in the I.T. field that dosn't involve getting a degree in I.T. because I have had enough of college, but would consider job-specific training such as a Microsoft Certification course. And, if those MSCE courses are the way to go, which one would be the best to persue?

Well now that my internet is back up and running I think I'll reply!

Thanks Natalya for the information. Could you perhaps let me and some others know of which kind of degree to get? And what kind of classes we should take while still in High School? Thanks.

Hello again!

Well for networking, i suggest you get a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate). i recently got mine. With this you go in depth about programming routers etc

You can go to a college and learn everything necessary but you have to sit your exam externaly and you must pay for the exam but in the end it is worth it.

In Australia, the exams are about $150.

I also got a novell certification(CNA - Certified Novell Administrator) and im currently studying for my MCNA (Master Certified Novell Engineer). Novell is basically all about networking. There arent many novell certified people out there so if your one, there is a lot of money involved ;-)

Like the CCNA you can go to a college and learn everything but the exams will be done externally and you gotta pay.

You can also go to university and do a degree on it. I am currently doing a bachalor of computer science which goes in depth about operating systems and networking etc.

There are other degrees you can do like just a bachalor of IT which will skim through all aspects related to IT.

If there is anything else you would like to know just PM me. =)

CCNA you configure VLANs, Router Access List (I hate that), router config (this is the fun part). We had a lab where we got into teams. Each team had 6 people in it and we got to work in this huge network lab. We were Team New York and had to configure our LAN and WAN with Team California, Team Texas, Team Minnesota, and Team Florida. It was so fun. We had to make sure that all our routers can communicate by ping and Telnet. If we can do that, we got through to them. Then Access List was put up for security. Not my forte. Ihad someone else do that part.

Yeah, CCNA and MCSE are really good cert. programs to take. At a university level, take CIS or MIS courses and turn it into your major. Most universities, they integrate CIS or MIS with Business administration.

Back
Top Bottom