Overclocking your vid (ATI or nvidia) card!!!! How to do it easily!

I decided to write a little tutorial on using ATiTool v0.24.

First off. This program is insanely easy to use, and even easier to overclock with.

To over clock using the ATiTool, just open it up through Start Menu>Programs>ATiTool.
Then when the program is open you may or may not be able to see a small graph displaying your GPU temperature.
If the GPU Temperature Monitor is up, don't worry for now, if it isn't then jst follow these steps to open it up...

1. In the Lower Right hand corner you should see a small box that says 'Settings'. Click on this box.

2. Now your ATiTool box has changed to a menu that displays some boxes such as; Apply Clock Immediately After Slider or Lock Reference Divider. But never mind that, at the top you'll see a menu that says Overclocking. Click the arrow on the drop menu and select Temperature Monitoring.

3. Now your main box has change to the Temperature Monitoring Settings. Make sure that the first box called, "Measure card temperature" is checked. Then change the Update Every xx Seconds to 1. Next make sure that Show Only GPU temperature is selcted. Now look at the lower right hand corner and click on the box that says Back.

4. Now you should see that little green temperature graph. If not repeat the steps and check anything you may have missed.

5. Now onto our overclocking! First off you need to test how many FPS (Frames Per Second) you're getting now. To do this click on the box in the lower left hand corner called Show 3D View. This new windows shows a carpet-like square that spins around. It also displays how many FPS you're getting at that second plus how many FPS you're getting in average. Close this once you're done seeing your results.

6. If you're getting something you don't particularly like, then here's what you do! That little bar that says Core and some decimal below that, change it to a number that is roughly 10% higher then what you're getting, do the same thing to the Memory box.

7. Now reopen the Show 3D box and check how many FPS you're getting. YOu should see a larger rate in your FPS. If so then this is good! If you don't then raise the amount of core and memory.

This picture shows you the Core and Memory box, as well as the Show 3D View.

untitled9wh.th.jpg

Should you slide each bar equally? Like, if you move one 5 then move the other 5?

I'm not getting this to install, I extract it over and over and nothing?

99nasha nice tut i already had the coolbits thing in but i don't get those options so ur ones probably better aint rebooted yet 2 see. btw what theme is that on ur desktop? :D

Yes, I get it to my desktop, the folder and the white/black icon. Then what? I always end up at the little extract to window..

Doesn't it say run or extract or something like that? Click run my friend... or am I thinking of a different program?

When I DL it I get that black and white icon. I double click that and it asks me where to extract, so I just put my desktop, and then I get a folder with an internet link, MSinfo document and a setup folder. The setup folder just has this teal icon.. something registration. I've run that, just asked if I wanted to install this to registry or whatnot, then you hit OK and it says, done..

Coolbits must be installed for the clock frenquency things. Just double-click on the exe, and choose OK. Then go to nVidia display and you have new options.

One MAJOR MAJOR thing....many of the newer nVidia cards, such as my 6600, can't use Coolbits to detect optimal frequencies.

To overclock yourself:

1. Up the clock speed on both memory and core 10mhz. Then run Aquamark 3, or an equivlant benchmark. If it runs, game on it for a couple of hours, to stress test it.

2. Repeat until the benchmark is unstable or your games crash - whichever is first. Then, put it down 5mhz, and repeat the test, if not, put it down another 5mhz (to your last stable test), and you've overclocked your graphics card.

3. Don't forget to watch your temperatures!

Again, I take no responsibility for damage or harm, etc done to your PC. It's YOUR choice, risk and responsibility, NOT mine!

Back
Top Bottom