Wireless Internet Card

stevenbob0

Baseband Member
I need a wireless Internet card for my desktop PC and was wondering what types you guys had or witch ones you recommend. Are there any brands that stick out above the rest? Thanks so much

do you have a wireless router? if you do then great, if you dont, get a linksys 802.11b/g with secure easy setup, nice router, use friendly, and easy to setup encryption. if you do get that router make sure you get a linksys network card with secure easy setup otherwise WPA personal wont be supported.

I don't have a wireless router for that computer. But are house is covered with a wireless connection form are mane computer.

in my personal opinion linksys is the WORST brand for wireless, as well as belkin(sp) i would get Netgear. it's inexpensive and all my friends use netgear and we have no problems, great signal strength and easy configuration settings. netgear also seems pretty compatible with other routers, like d-link inparticular seems to do well with netgear. Netgear will also work with linksys and belkin but usually has poor strength and mbps, but this has been when there has been pretty good distance from the router in both cases. None the less, my friend with linksys has had very bad luck with his linksys network and has very low strength and usually no more than 8mbps when he's only 1 room above the router. So my brand 2 go with would be netgear, followed by d-link!

linksys is not the worst, and usually the best. not only quality products but great customer service. The only reason I have ever had anyone complain (customers) is because the user interface had to many options for them and seemed a bit confusing. Only had 1 router not work out of probably 50 I have bought and installed the past year. and as far as I am concerned to many options and settings is not a problem.

Everyone is intitled to thier own opinion though.

MeTzenAs said:
linksys is not the worst, and usually the best. not only quality products but great customer service. The only reason I have ever had anyone complain (customers) is because the user interface had to many options for them and seemed a bit confusing. Only had 1 router not work out of probably 50 I have bought and installed the past year. and as far as I am concerned to many options and settings is not a problem.

Everyone is intitled to thier own opinion though.
i do agree to a point, the routers digital quality doesn't seem ^ to par with any of the linksys routers i've seen though. just about everyone that has a linksys router that i know has horrible wireless strength and speed. as far as hardwire connections go i don't really know, the LAN parties i go 2 are 80% of the time wireless and we've never done hardwire on a linksys. One downfall of netgear that i do know is that it's hard 2 understand the tech support, people from asian countries or possibly central america and it's hard 2 understand their strong accent. none the less through my experence with wireless networking linksys is NOT the way 2 go and also more expensive than most. Stick with netgear or D-link if u ask me :)

here ya go

Item Description

At 54 Mbps, NETGEAR's wireless 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g PCI card is much faster than existing 11 Mbps wireless networks and will supercharge your system. Now get media-rich content to your desktop PC like never before; it easily handles huge digital video and MP3 files, and allows network users to wirelessly share a broadband Internet connection.

Wireless Specifications
Wireless Technology
IEEE 802.11b/g
Frequency Band/Bandwidth
2.412 GHz to 2.4 GHz USA
Frequency Band/Bandwidth Details
2.412 GHz to 2.462 GHz USA
2.412 GHz to 2.472 GHz Europe ETSI
2.457 GHz to 2.462 GHz Spain
Transmission Speed
54Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
48Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
36Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
24Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
18Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
12Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
9Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
6Mbps IEEE 802.11g
11Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11b
5.5Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11b
2Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11b
1Mbps IEEE 802.11b
Wireless Security
40-bit (also called 64-bit),128-bit WEP encryption

Interfaces/Ports
Host Interface
32-bit PCI

Physical Characteristics
Dimensions
4.76" Height x 5.23" Width x 0.86" Thickness - without antenna
Shipping Dimensions
6.75" Height x 9" Width x 2" Depth
Weight
4.41 oz - including antenna
Shipping Weight
0.58 lb

I dont know what most the meens but owell

stevenbob0 said:
here ya go

Item Description

At 54 Mbps, NETGEAR's wireless 2.4 GHz 802.11b/g PCI card is much faster than existing 11 Mbps wireless networks and will supercharge your system. Now get media-rich content to your desktop PC like never before; it easily handles huge digital video and MP3 files, and allows network users to wirelessly share a broadband Internet connection.

Wireless Specifications
Wireless Technology
IEEE 802.11b/g
Frequency Band/Bandwidth
2.412 GHz to 2.4 GHz USA
Frequency Band/Bandwidth Details
2.412 GHz to 2.462 GHz USA
2.412 GHz to 2.472 GHz Europe ETSI
2.457 GHz to 2.462 GHz Spain
Transmission Speed
54Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
48Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
36Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
24Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
18Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
12Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
9Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11g
6Mbps IEEE 802.11g
11Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11b
5.5Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11b
2Mbps Auto-fallback IEEE 802.11b
1Mbps IEEE 802.11b
Wireless Security
40-bit (also called 64-bit),128-bit WEP encryption

Interfaces/Ports
Host Interface
32-bit PCI

Physical Characteristics
Dimensions
4.76" Height x 5.23" Width x 0.86" Thickness - without antenna
Shipping Dimensions
6.75" Height x 9" Width x 2" Depth
Weight
4.41 oz - including antenna
Shipping Weight
0.58 lb

I dont know what most the meens but owell
ok that does look perfect but there are 2 things 2 think about, 1st is that is 2.4GHz going 2 effect your house phones at all? i kno that alot of people with there wireless card the same frequency as there cordless phones interupt with the wireless and vice versa, although thats not always the case. 2 is that when your card is intenal you can't do much 2 adjust the position really execpt the anntenna to recive better speed and connection. when u have a USB 2.0 adapter u can move it around alot 2 get a better connection. not saying not 2 get internal but just something 2 think about.

Back
Top Bottom