sata speed

ASSEMBLER

In Runtime
i have at the moment sata convertors on my ide hard drive and obviously they bwill only run at a top speed of ata 133. if i swap my drives to full sata drives at the 150 speed will i see a difference or not.thinking of going for the seagate barracudas.

it should run a lot faster over ATA133, im using a Seagate 7200.7 and it was a lot faster than my Maxtor.

it is the newest on the desktop platform. On the server platform, they have SAS now.

From IDE to SATA-speed is dertmined by many factors...cache on hardrive..speed of hardrive...size and others..generally there is very little difference between say an 80gig ide drive @ 7200rpm or a SATA @ 7200rpm differnce is seen when say you have a western digital raptor..or a much larger hdd. SATA2 (unless you have 4Xraptors in RAID0) is pretty much overkill as hardrive not fast enough to use all the speed of SATA2

isn't something like 10mb a second faster.. when building a system that has a mobo with sata, I always suggest putting the os and any games/application on the sata hard drive and if u have an ide drive int he computer also.. just putting backup files on that one. Most new mobos have anywhere from 2-4 sata connectors. Also when installed your new os (winxp) you may have to press F6 at the beginning of the installation and isntall raid drivers that come with your mobo on the the floppy in order for the setup to see the drives. I'd say about 1/10 mobos need you to do this. In my experience its getting less often though. SATA is definatly the way to go, you will notice a drastic increase in speed with reading / writing.

Back
Top Bottom