PSU compatibile w/my comp? please help

rob5.0

Solid State Member
Hi, I have a Compaq SR1650NX and am upgrading to a 6600gt from the integrated graphics. The comp has a 300w psu right now and i want to put in this psu:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104953

Here are my mobo specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...oduct=1127352&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00496280

now from what i can tell this psu will work, but don't know a whole lot about this. i also have an amd athlon 64 3500+ cpu. When the psu says it has a 20+4 atx connector, that would work with the 24 pin connector on the mobo right? if anyone could confirm that this psu would work that would be great.

I am kinda new here, so this would be my opinion. So don't take it to heart, I would listen to a more experienced user more or less, but this would be the determining fact for me.

I wouldn't be as much worried about it working with my mobo, but more or less if it would fit in my case, usually store bought PCs really don't have any room to upgrade (unless your talking about ram, or the basics), they like to "conserve" space with there tiny cases.

Now if it would fit, I was looking around and this is what I found http://www.highpowersupply.com/product-ps-hpc420102df.htm

Now my board is a ATX20 and then I have a separate 12v 4 pin connector, your board pretty much has them all set for one spot, that connector from what I've read is to give the CPU more power, but in newer boards it can also give the Vid Card more power, more then likely the reason you want it.

From what that picture looks like, you just snap the end onto your connector if you have a 24pin setup like on your board. But from the picture of the PSU you are looking at, from what I've read I'm not sure if the unit would snap together like that one in the link.

I suppose this wont help but I'll list this none-the-less, from what I can see on my PSU, they look like they would just slid right side by side if I did have a 24pin requirement. But then again this is theory, as I haven't built any pcs with a 24pin setup, all are 20 then a separate 4.

You might need to call, because it might have a sepearte non-attachable piece like on my PSU, it's completely sperate from the unit, like a whole different cord.

I'd also open your pc and check your area for the PSU, some companys set there pcs up in a manner in which they can only replace certain parts, in which case it might be just as cheap to buy a new case for 40$, I mean I've seen them really cheap, and they usually come with at least a 450watt psu, but watch the shipping on ebay, they are rip offs, you may pay hardly nothing, but the S&H will more then likely make up for there lose in the over all bid ratio.

I apologise for the off topic, but I must say, what information for a new member! I have a good feeling about you...

Talking about my reply? *If you are thanks, being in retail has taught me to think of all possibilites, just cause his board will work with the PSU, doesn't mean his tower will hold it... Which would seriouslly bite, if it didn't. For some reason the compaqs I've seen are usually mid sized towers, and aren't very usable for upgrades ~ So that's something I would defintely check out.

Oh, are you getting a PCIE 6600gt or a AGP? The card requires 350watts, I did a quick search on ebay, you can almost get a 6800gt OC with the amount of money you would pay on ebay. I've not really compared the cards, but honestly I don't really ever read about the 6600 series, the 6800 series I hear quite a bit, and Ageofempires3 supports the card, not sure if your doing any serious gaming. Just from my experience, I purcashaed what most would call a bargain bin card, a 5200 asylum, which was 130$ (I got ripped off) If had the chance to go back and replace the vid card, I'd would spend a few extra $ and got the 6800 gt at least, the OC one is nice, but at least the 6800gt series.

Not sure if you've compared the cards, but I ran into a site with a google search on the cards.
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/gigabyte6600GT/

Good comparison I thought, gave you roughly the hardware specs, I'd also make sure the 6600 has shadder 3.0, which I believe is required for the newer games like Age of Empires 3, I know my 5200, can just barelly run the game, which I'm not to impressed with for a 130$ card, you can get the 6600gt for 135$ rofl. If you look around enough under 200$ for the 6800 GT OC, which is nice, I've read you can overclock it to around 425mhz, which a tad shy of the 6800GT Ultra. Oh well, just a thought.

i've already checked the size and it will fit. i am getting the pci-e eVGA 6600gt. the 6800's are a little pricey, i don't even have a job right now haha. and yea, it's $130. well if you guys say it will work i suppose that's what i'll get. thanks.

I would always suggest getting an Antec as far as psu are concerned. I buil/repair computer for a living, and when psu are in the conversation I never go anywhere but antec, sure there are other good psu but they always seem to last the longest, and do a better job imo. check my signature for my system specs it shows what psus I am using.

Back
Top Bottom