Norton Antivirus or Norton Internet Security?

Jayj2k1

Baseband Member
Sup ya. Ya prolly already know my case with the new Celeron I copped during Black Friday Sales. (upgraded memory, video card, all that good stuff)

Anyway, the PC comes with a trial version of Norton Internet Security Suite and MS Office 2003. I have been using it for a few days and I love the Office but I cannot stand the NIS.

I have two options. Deal with the NIS for the remainder of the trial or just get a copy of Norton Antivirus 2005 and just install that. The only question I have is, if I remove NIS, will some important files be deleted from my PC? Because I really can't afford to restore the whole computer because I added so many programs.

Feel free to give your input and if anyone has any alternatives to Norton, post them as well.

Well removing it shouldn't cause any problems.
But I wouldn't go with norton.

My suggestion:
firewall: Zone Alarm
anti-virus: AntiVir and/or AVG. (both have free versions which are exellent)
anti-spyware: m$ anti-spyware, ad-aware, spybot s&d and spyware blaster.

Chuck NIS whatever the cost, I'd say. I'm saying this from experience, as well.

I also say get rid of Norton. It's nothing but a resource hog. There are far better alternatives.

BUT if you must, then I'd say go for NIS, cause you get a lot more, like ad blocker, parental controls etc. and it's the safer option in your position.

Mr. F said:
PC Mag, also rated the Norton Firewall in NIS one of the best around.
I heard that the firewall was quite good.
But the anti-virus. Based on my experience, norton has one of the crappiest anti-viruses ever made.

I've been using Norton IS for the last 4 years. I also use Norton Ghost 9.0 and Partition Magic..........

Never had a single problem with any of their products or installations.
I had a question concerning integration with MS Outlook and immediately received live support and answers to my question.
Their products have saved my butt many times.......wouldn't go without them.

acphenom said:
BUT if you must, then I'd say go for NIS, cause you get a lot more, like ad blocker, parental controls etc. and it's the safer option in your position.

See thats the thing man, I'm not a parent. I'm only 17. I'm a young buck. I don't need the extraz just give me a virus program that works you feel me?! But I had Norton Antivirus with my other PCs and they worked fine.

I just don't like the NIS because that firewall prevents me from doing anything. One web page can be opened and I recieve like 5 outbreak alerts. The way Norton is so secure, they mines well create home security systems.

As far AVG, I've heard of it from customers that come on my job but I haven't tried it. How good is it?

I had AVG on a customers computer and it worked great....he decided to go to Norton System Work and it hurt the performace of the PC....very noticable slow down. AVG works much better IMO.

Get rid of it, and download zone alaram free, and avg virus scan, or anit vir scan.. ^_^

Back
Top Bottom