Weird Internet Explorer problem

Mental Liberator

Fully Optimized
I open it, and it says not responding and I can't use it at all. So I try to look for it in the add/remove programs list and it's not there. I go to the Microsoft website and download IE 6 and try to install it but it says "A newer version of Internet Explorere is already installed, cannot proceed with the setup" Now I'm no newb, and I know that FireFox is better. That's what I've been using but I need to use IE for certain videos, to check for updates on microsoft.com and for certain websites some things don't load without IE. It would be awesome if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Stick in your windows xp disk, and install the optional componenets, and i think you should be able to reinstall IE from there. You could always take out the IE folder, but when you try and install it agian, it sees the folder still there, but its empty, so you cant delete it and install again. I have no idea why this is, its just a previous experience i had with it..

Mental Liberator said:
I open it, and it says not responding and I can't use it at all. So I try to look for it in the add/remove programs list and it's not there. I go to the Microsoft website and download IE 6 and try to install it but it says "A newer version of Internet Explorere is already installed, cannot proceed with the setup" Now I'm no newb, and I know that FireFox is better. That's what I've been using but I need to use IE for certain videos, to check for updates on microsoft.com and for certain websites some things don't load without IE. It would be awesome if anyone could point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I recently had a similar problem with a clients computer, turned out to be adware/spyware problem. I ran numerous different removal tools to fix the computer (it would have been much easier to reinstall but it was an HP and they broke the orginal CDs).

I'm not saying this is the problem you are having but just wanted to suggest this.

i think something was deleted but not everything so thats why it says theres still a version on your pc. just go to my computer>programs>find ie explorer and delete all the files then reinstall. and to delete it u gotta do search and stuff. make sure u got no adaware or spyware. and viruses. run spybot too i think it would help. and do u have software repair wizzard? or maybe you could restore it to a earlier day.

Mental Liberator said:
Tried the CD thing, didn't work. If you try to delete IE from it's folder it'll just re-appear. Very weird....

yeah im at a loss on how it does that..

Thank you all for the suggestions, but I still have this problem. I ran ad-ware, spybot search & destroy, and advanced system optimizer...

hmm.. there is away to uninstall ie.. either using the winxp isntallation disk or manually.. I would www.google.com the topic and I'm sure you can get some good guides to doing this.

Back
Top Bottom