Dell UltraSharp 1704FPT LCD Monitor Goes Black

volcomssj48

Solid State Member
I've gotten Blue Screens of Death before, here comes the Black Screen.

Okay, done with corny jokes.

After searching almost everywhere, talking to a Dell representative, and asking a clueless friend of mine, he referred me to this website.

Oh and by the way, Dell didn't have a single support article for this!

So, like the topic suggests, my Dell UltraSharp 1704FPV 17 inch LCD all of a sudden went black.
The first time it happened I thought it was a small problem, so I shut the moniotr off and back on again. Worked fine...until about 15 mintutes later.

It happened again. And this time, I notice that the power light is still green, not a yellow/amber light (which is stand-by mode) or off.

From what I've heard on other websites, that means that the Monitor is not getting enough power, but it IS getting the signal from the Computer's video card.

Is this info sufficient enough to rule out a faulty graphics card?
Is it the monitor that is faulty?
Any of the cables?

Also, I think it is important to note that I switched the supposedly faulty Dell monitor with a spare ViewSonic VP171b monitor which is also a 17 in LCD display. For the switch, I did NOT use any of the same cables from the Dell monitor. All the cables used with the ViewSonic were it's own cables, I didn't do any swapping.

Also, the Dell monitor is supposedly working fine right now on another system of mine.

The fact that it works (so far) on another computer is, I assume, making things a lot more confusing.

If anyone can post an answer or a solution to this, it would be VERY VERY VERY appreciated. Maybe I'll send you something for Christmas if you can fix this

I paid 300 for the monitor so it would really be appreciated if you could help thanks!

Also, I can answer any more clarification or more info you may need. Sorry if my words are confusing.

Thanks for your time.
Edit/Delete Message

I've tried switching the Power cords, which are the PVC (is that what they're called?) ones, the ones that a computer tower also uses.

Should I try switching the actual VGA cable itself?
I've only tried changing the monitors (using their own respective cables) but I haven't tried switching the actual cable itself.

I'll post a reply once I finish it, but I have to leave for something in about 5-10 minutes and I won't be back until a little past 9. (its 7 right now)

If I can't post you guys back in time, I will definitle have a post by tommorow night, so please come back!

Okay, I've tried switching the cord itself. Still has the problem. That same cord works on my ViewSonic monitor, which basically now narrows it doen to the monitor.

Anyone have special knowledge about monitors and its parts?

Again, if you could help it would be great. Thanks!

Okay, I've tried switching the cord itself. Still has the problem. That same cord works on my ViewSonic monitor, which basically now narrows it doen to the monitor.

Anyone have special knowledge about monitors and its parts?

Again, if you could help it would be great. Thanks!

Have you changed anything recently, same thing is happining with my Dell 1704FPT Monitor which I have been useing with no problems for over 3 years. It didn't start happening to me until I attached a KVM switch to the VGA port.

Back
Top Bottom