Newbie Question About Symantec

Flyerman

Beta member
i have Symantec/Norton antivirus installed on my desktop, and this last time i ran a virus check, it took almost 4 or 5 hours just to get the menu to pop up. once it was on the screen, i ran the check, and it took almost 3 DAYS to complete. this was after defrag and checking the available disk space, which were both fine. does anyone have the same problem, and if so, how do i correct it? btw, this is my first post. tia

no i don't, don't foget - if you have loads, loads of files it will take ages.

Flyerman said:
it took almost 4 or 5 hours just to get the menu to pop up

what do you mean "the menu"? Please explain more.

What are your system specifications ? Include the size of your harddrive and how much space you've already used ...

I doubt it's the space of the hdd. You would have to have many TB's for it to take 3 days.

There could be a virus, they usually kick the crap out of norton, but usually they prevent norton from even opening. Is every other application working fine? U could try to just reinstal norton, most likely a fault in it.

If it really is a virus messing around with the program, it might be worth booting in safe mode and then running a scan, maybe that will help, but we'll still require more details about the situation ...

technoman said:
can we have proof for that please?

Okay maybe I should have said "try to kick the crap of norton" but I've seen them succeed so many times. Just last week my friend asked me what to do because he got a virus and now norton won't open.

Norton is one of the most used anti-viruses there is. That is why most viruses are programmed so that they take norton out, because norton is the most widely used and taking it out would make lot's and lot's of computers vulnerable for the virus. They don't do this that much with something like AntiVir because it doesn't have so many users.

Ofcourse that doesn't mean that they would always eliminate norton, but I've seen it happen so many times. And ofcourse norton comes up with patches & updates but it's quite rare for these updates & patches to be available before the virus has spread. (because they won't know that the virus is there when it strikes the 1st computers, and when they know it's there they have to find out how it disables norton and then they need to find out how to prevent it and then they need to build a patch & update based on that. And believe me that all of that doesn't happen in a few minutes)

All of this info might not be accurate since there has been some time since the last time I was messing with viruses and that kind of stuff.
But as I said, they want the virus to spread, the a-v protecting most computers is norton, so ofcourse getting past norton would make a huge amount of computers vulnerable. And that's exactly what they want.

Back
Top Bottom