Setting up a LAN connection?

Aeiis

Baseband Member
I am getting a new computer soon and wish to use the current cable internet I have now. The new computer has Intergrated LAN support. How do I setup a connection to my new computer while keeping my current computer online?

You will need a wireless router to hook up to your cable modem. I have cable internet too and got 3 PC's hooked up to it with Internet, file/print sharing.

a wireless router is a must? Does that mean I also need a wireless card?

There is no other way to hook them up?

You can use cables if you wish, but I thought a wireless setup would be "neater". Especially if the PC is in another room. You don't want wireless then? One PC can be wireless, the other one is cabled.

Yeah, because you don't need to setup wireless adapters. You save an extra $50 which is hardly nothing these days. It's still better to get a wireless router because it can also handle cable directly or wireless if someday you have the need to do that.

WAN cable goes from the cable modem to the Internet connection on the back of the router. On the back of the router, there are ports where you can plug additional PCs into it. That's it. So easy, a 1st grader can do it.

Back
Top Bottom