My NEW RIG!!!

Yeah, currently most SLI boards run the PCi-E slots at x8 per slot, but now nVIDIA just released the new SLI X16 chipset, at the sacrifice of adding a southbridge instead of traditionally integrating it with the northbridge.

Ok thats what I thought originally... so is the 8x still good or should i go for t he asus board even though the dfi is better for ocing...??? And this is taken from dfi's site for the expert board...

SLI mode
- Use 2 SLI-ready PCI Express x16 graphics cards (use identical cards) on the
PCI Express x16 slots.
- Each x16 slot operates at x8 bandwidth. When the graphics cards are connected
via the SLI bridge, the total bandwidth of the two graphics cards is x16.

So SLIX16 would have a total bandwidth of x32 for the two gpu's together?

So 16x is the maximum theoritically? A single PCI-e x16 runs at 16x right or does it still run at the slow 8x? This is all getting too confusing.

Ok so if you are running 1 graphics card its x16 and if you run 2 in SLI its x8 for each and total of x16? And for SLIX16 each card is x16. So is that right then???

Yes. If you have normal SLI, a single card will be x16, but with two cards, each is x8. If you get SLI X16, BOTH slots are x16.

I would love to get one of those dedicated SLI x16 support. So the Southbridge is going to take control of this instead of the Northbridge. Wow, that's a change of pace. I hope they come out with this soon.

Haha, found one right here. It's the one that I posted a link for before. I think there was a member on here with this motherboard. Expensive sucker:

ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813131568

This is the only board I found that supports full 16x on both channels. So now we're dealing with 32x, right?

North Bridge: NVIDIA nForce SPP 100
South Bridge: NVIDIA nForce4 SLI

PCI Express x16: 2 x PCI-E x16 with SLI--support at full x16, x16 mode

What I don't understand with these motherboard support is why don't they make a SATA driver disk available? They assume that we're going to pop the CD into a working computer and grab the files off of there so we can put it on a floppy? Or perhaps the SATA driver is permanently etched in ROM? Strange...

While I'm on topic of annoying things, high performance video cards are so huge these days that when you put two of them together in SLi, it blocks all the expansion slots. I mean, WTF. They need to make more cards to use the PCI-e x1 because there's always one sitting at the top of the PCI-e x16 slot that is actually FREE and not obstructed.

Back
Top Bottom