building a computer

here_is_gone

In Runtime
I'm planning on building my own computer at some point, probably in the summer when I can work more and have some more money :p I was making a list of things I would need to build it, and checking the prices of them..is this list complete? also, whats a good site to buy computer parts from?

-Case
-Motherboard
-Hard Drive
-RAM
-PCI slot Ethernet
-Video Card
-Fans
-CD drive
-Operating System
-Power Supply

what else do I need to build a computer?

a processor would do wonders :D

And since u live in the USA I'd buy all the parts from www.newegg.com

and better make that cd drive a dvd drive. Or some blu-ray thingy if they are available to computers next summer.

mammikoura said:
a processor would do wonders :D

And since u live in the USA I'd buy all the parts from www.newegg.com

and better make that cd drive a dvd drive. Or some blu-ray thingy if they are available to computers next summer.

ah i thought the processor came w/ the motherboard :p thanks for the link, and i probably will have a CD-RW/DVD drive

It's a good thing your next build is around next summer. A lot of sweet stuff should be out by then. Socket M2, DDR2, second gen dual cores, new video card chipsets, hopefully we'll also see SATA3 or whatever you want to call it. It's in the works to come out with a new SATA technology to boost hard drive speeds.

but i may not be able to buy all of the new stuff cause of the price :( i think i probably want to get an AMD processor, but I don't have a lot of knowledge about them..and how do i see if things are compatible?

D'oh, I hear you there. If you go to Newegg.com and look up their AMD-Compatible Motherboards, you will see all the things the motherboard supports including the type of CPU support. It's sooo good, that site. It's like a computer building website for Dummies, because everything you need to know is right on there.

TRDCorolla said:
D'oh, I hear you there. If you go to Newegg.com and look up their AMD-Compatible Motherboards, you will see all the things the motherboard supports including the type of CPU support. It's sooo good, that site. It's like a computer building website for Dummies, because everything you need to know is right on there.

yeah im looking at it right now, its a great site. so the only things i need to worry about being compatible are the processor and the motherboard?

i just found a seagate 20 GB hard drive for about 15 dollars more than i paid for my 120 GB seagate drive...best buy rules!

You also have to make sure you have compatible RAM too. All new motherboards should have support for DDR400 (PC3200) RAM speeds. It will also tell you there in the motherboard specs too. CPU, motherboard, memory are like the foundation of a good PC. Then add a beefy video card and you have a killer system. Everything else is so-so. Onboard sound these days are incredible, unless you want the new X-Fi sound cards. Hard drives, you got the usual SATA technology (SATA2-or SATA 3gb/s).

Back
Top Bottom