network f**ked up again

bigbondfan

In Runtime
my network has been giving me hastle ever since i got my computer. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. i've gone through the useless xp help + support thing about five times, it fails to fix my problems. i must have gone through three books on setting it up and i've tried three ethernet network cards and the network is still as sh*t as ever. :mad: :mad: :mad: I know i have set it up correctly, following instructions. i have a ethernet hub with 2 other computers on it, they all connect to the network fine. i've tried swapping them round - no help. i've tried hitting my computer several times and have been tempted to throw it out of my first floor window onto the concrete path below.

i wanted my network to connect to the internet, and every computer on the network does this apart from mine. All my computer does is thinks up a new ip address (i've tried setting my own, but that doesn't work either) for about a minute and then the network says it's connected but the internet doesn't work, and i can't get access to any shared files. I try the repair button but it comes up with an error that is poorly explained with a cancel button that doesn't work.

Does anyone now how to resolve my network problem?

Give me your complete setup, including the models and makes of everything, including the wires, and all of the settings. I've been through this before :rolleyes:

are you sure your tcp/ip protocols are binded to your network card? i had that same problem, it would find the network, but not the internet.

SilentScope said:
Give me your complete setup, including the models and makes of everything, including the wires, and all of the settings. I've been through this before :rolleyes:

My computer is a client:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1024MB RAM, Windows XP Home SP2
1GBit Ethernet card "NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller" ethernet
-100mbs,
-MTU=1500 bytes,
-IP/Subnet Mask=169.254.235.97/255.255.0.0,
-DHCP=255.255.255.255

The host computer:
AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 2048mb ram, xp home sp2
SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
-100mbs,
-MTU=1500 bytes,
-IP/Subnet Mask=169.254.119.74/255.255.0.0
-DHCP=255.255.255.255

The Hub:
NetGear Dual Speed Hub DS104 (http://www.netgear.com/products/details/DS104.php)
-100mbs
-4 sockets (3 are used)

the host is plugged into the first socket, mine is in the second and the other is in the third. the forth is not used. the host computer has a usb adsl broadband modem.

the wires are ethernet and were custom made to the right length at our local computer shop (ingeniously named "The Computer Shop") and they have worked before. i've checked the wires for breaks and bends, but they all look fine. i've even tried different ones.

also, since starting this thread:
-the two clients can't access the internet or shared files or printers on the host, but they can access each other
-the host cannot browse the clients and now says limited or no connectivity.

i hope this is enough information :D

Andy87 said:
are you sure your tcp/ip protocols are binded to your network card? i had that same problem, it would find the network, but not the internet.

i'm not sure what you mean by "protocols are binded to your network card". do you mean like setting my own ones?

i've installed xp's KB884020 patch to stop the aquiring network address, but it hasn't stopped it. can anybody help me?

Back
Top Bottom