My NEW RIG!!!

EricM

Daemon Poster
Hi Ive probably made a few of these posts already but I have finally chosen most of the parts for my first pc build. I also have a few questions so here I go...

CPU-
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR S939 TOLEDO 2.2GHZ 1MBX2 90NM (or should I go with the 4800? I probably will stick with the 4400)

MOBO- DFI LANPARTY UT SLI-DR EXPERT
OR
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe (it has the SLIx16 but is it really worth it compared to the 8x do graphics cards even take advantage of that extra bandwith)

Ram- (this is where I kind of need some help deciding) I was orginally going with the
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 1 but then I was going to go with [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] OCZ Platinum EB PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-3-2-8 but the site I am ordering from (ncix.com since i live in Canada) doesnt carry that anymore... I also am looking at the [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] OCZ Gold EL PC4000 2GB 2X1GB DDR500 CL3-4-4-8

GPU -
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] BFG GeForce 7800GTX and hopefully when the prices go down Ill add the second in SLI. Or should I just get the 512???

PSU- Ultra
[/font]X-Finityâ„¢ 600 Watt or the Ultra X2 550W PSU[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Links to both ---
http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=61&pPath=407&productID=407
http://www.ultraproducts.com/product_details.php?cPath=60&pPath=383&productID=387

Hard Drive -
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB SATA2 7200RPM 8MB 8.9MS Hard Drive or or the Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 200GB if the site I am ordering has it. I t hink they only have the 160gb. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
DVD WRITER-
[/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] LG GSA-4167B

CASE - NZXT Lexa ... heres a link... http://www.nzxt.com/Lexa.php

It has 3 120mm fans already installed and 1 80mm fan and comes with a 500w psu which i can probably use for something else.

I think thats everything... the sound card is an onboard so I dont think I will get an add on one. And OS is going to be Windows Xp Pro

So those are my specs right now. I hopefully dont have to get a pc for a while now... this should be blazing fast for a while... so what would you change? And I got a few questions about paritioning hard drives and stuff but I ll ask those later.
[/font]

Get ram with cas latenct 2 so, 2-2-2-5 timings. Also, i don't know if Ultra psu's are good. I would go with anitec. I would also put out the 70 bucks to get a creative sound blaster audigy Z 7.1 or a modle like that. Fianlly, i would definately go with the DFI mobo, its the best ocing board out there, I'm thinking of getting one myself. SWEET CASE! They used that to make pc magazines dream machine.

ultra make good average user parts, they might not be up for advance users who want 110% quality out of their parts. I use ultra memory and it overclocks nicely for me. Yet somebody in else this forum is going to go in the other direction.

Just my oppinion

Most likely... I like Ultra PSU's because of their cable system. Why leave in all the extra cables that you dont need hanging around in your case taking up airflow? And for memory what do u recommend?

I would go with ocz's psu's... mo betta... no, seriously, ocz makes some of the best psu's on the market.

Ultra's PSU's are decent at best. I mean, come on! Who even makes the ATX motherboard power connector unpluggable?! That just leads to power loss. I'll give them credit for the modular design, but it's not exactly well thought out.

If you want a great modular PSU, get the OCZ ModStream PSU. It's probably on par with Antec's modular PSUs if not better.

I would recommend PC Power & Cooling if you don't need the modular plugs, because they're the best PSU manufacturers, hands down. The only downside is the price. They're pretty expensive for PSUs. I think the 510w is about $200-$210.

Seasonic makes some really good PSUs for the price too.

CPU- AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR S939 TOLEDO 2.2GHZ 1MBX2 90NM (or should I go with the 4800? I probably will stick with the 4400)

--Go with whatever you can afford. They are both good.

MOBO- DFI LANPARTY UT SLI-DR EXPERT
OR
ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe (it has the SLIx16 but is it really worth it compared to the 8x do graphics cards even take advantage of that extra bandwith)

--Get the DFI motherboard. They are more stable and good overclockers.

Ram- (this is where I kind of need some help deciding) I was orginally going with the

OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2GB 2X1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 1

--Get that RAM. For 2GB, it's got one of the fastest time.

GPU - BFG GeForce 7800GTX and hopefully when the prices go down Ill add the second in SLI. Or should I just get the 512???

--I would love to see someone in here get the 512MB version so I'm rooting for you to get that, if you can afford it. Imagine dual 7800GTX 512MB :eek:

PSU--If you like the Ultra PSU, then go ahead and try them out. Specwise, they look good.

Hard Drive - Western Digital Caviar SE 200GB SATA2 7200RPM 8MB 8.9MS Hard Drive or or the Hitachi Deskstar T7K250 200GB if the site I am ordering has it.

--I would get the Western Digital drive.

CASE - NZXT Lexa

--The case is excellent if you like that design. Good cooling capability.

Why does everyone call it SATA2 or SATA II?! It's supposed to be Serial ATA 3.0Gb/s :D Haha, just kidding. It's really supposed to be called SATA 3.0Gb/s, but I'm just being picky. :p

The NZXT Lexa looks pretty stylish, although the insides aren't as nicely done as the exterior.

ya sataII kicks it old school. I suggest the 512mb, two of them in sli is wasteful. I just got my 512mb 7800gtx from BFG a couple days ago from a local computer shop. I paid liek 50 dollars overprice, but they installed it for free as well as teh drivers. Perfect for lazy me.
--the lexa is alright quality, for amazing quality i suggest thermaltake or coolmaster or lina lian or something like that.

Well would the 512mb be equal to two 256mb's in SLI , or would the 512 be better? If i was going to get two 256s I would just go for the 512. And is SLIX16 a waste? Do gpu's even use the extra bandwidth? And for the Ultra Xfinity I am not sure if it is fully modular. I think all the cables may be attached. As for the case the LEXA is just the nicest case I have came across other than the CoolerMaster Stacker 830 but who needs all those fans!!!! No side window though on that one...The lexa has very nice cooling 3 120mm fans 1 80mm fan included and there is also another additional spot to add in a 80mm fan on the bottom of the case. The window could be a bit smaller because it shows off a bit too much steel on the inside but that doesnt bug me too much... I like the NZXT Trinity also but not as much cooling.

Back
Top Bottom