Newbee needs help

baker7598

Beta member
heres the info:

Operating system: Windows XP proffesional w/ OS service pack
Motherboard: ECS P4S5A/DX+ (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 AMR, 2 SDR DIMM, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio)
CPU chip: Intel Pentium 4, 2656 MHz (20 x 133)
Memory: 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX/MX 400 (64 MB)
Sound card: SiS 7012 Audio Device PCI
Any other pci cards: NEC uPD720101 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller (v1.0)
Hard drive: QUANTUM FIREBALLlct15 30 (27 GB)
Optical drives: DVD-ROM DVD-16X3H CyberDrv CW088D CD-R/RW
Power supply: Tiger Pro TP-300 12v

Ques:
don't have a valid copy of windows xp proffesional, want xp home. do i buy another operating system or do the upgrade? any other ways?

what video card would work w/ my combo?

what do i need to up my hardrive to? have 2 more slots empty

dvd player won't work? stupid me removed powerdvd, how do i play movies again?

want this to be my first computer to kinda build up a little. anyone have any other advice on what to upgrade to or just advice in general would be very helpful

thanks

I think it is against the rules to post anything about illegal software, but what the hell...

If your XP Pro isn't legal, then you can't legally upgrade it, so you will have to buy a LEGAL copy of home or pro (advice: get pro).

I can't really understand what you're trying to say, so if that doesn't answer your query I'm sorry and shall slap myself.

Install XP from scratch with the upgrade (Hope you have a Win98 CD laying around...so it can collect some files...or get the fresh install. Boot your computer for the CD and then do all the rest and reinstall everything

As long as your current version of WIndows work, it's fine. Windows XP Pro is already the upgraded version. The only problem you may have is installing the Service Packs on a crack version of Windows. Better just to buy a new version of Windows XP w/ SP2.

You can upgrade the video card to this. It's smoking fast compared to what you have now:

BFG Tech BFGR6600GTOC Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143027

I don't think you have a SATA controller on that motherboard so you're stuck using the ATA100/133. Get this:

SAMSUNG SpinPoint P Series SP1203N 120GB 7200 RPM 2MB Cache IDE Ultra ATA133 Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822152005

You need to upgrade the RAM to at least 1GB (use your old RAM for spare-don't mix RAMs):

OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227211

You can also upgrade the sound card and motherboard, but now you're talking about major overhaul, lol.

SilentScope said:
Just get another copy of PowerDVD, you should have gotten one with your PC or DVD drive.

i didn't get any disks w/ the computer, it was free...
where can i get a copy of power dvd?

lhuser said:
Install XP from scratch with the upgrade (Hope you have a Win98 CD laying around...so it can collect some files...or get the fresh install. Boot your computer for the CD and then do all the rest and reinstall everything
are u talking bout formating the harddrive, downloading the win xp upgrade and adding the 98 disk as the upgrade is downloading?

Just because you claim that you're a newb doesn't mean you have to automatically speak really terrible english (in other words a newb is not equivalent to being retarded).

I would add more to my post to actually help you out but it looks like the posts before me seem to cover what it looks like you're asking.

Distortion88 said:
Just because you claim that you're a newb doesn't mean you have to automatically speak really terrible english (in other words a newb is not equivalent to being retarded).

oh do pardon me sir, i was just trying to shorten my words for all to see.

Are YOU talking ABOUT formating the harddrive, downloading the WINDOWS xp upgrade and adding the 1998 windows disk as the upgrade is downloading?

i hope this tickles your fancy...

Back
Top Bottom