Getting a new pc soon....

There seems to be quite an...obsession of sorts with cache in this forum. :D

Benchmarks I've seen show that it's not that important.

I'd rather just go with an X2 3800+, because the price gap between the X2's is quite considerable, and the performance gain really won't be much, I'd imagine. They're all the same CPU's, just different internal clock speeds and L2 cache sizes.

The FX-60 that'll be released soon might be a worthy alternative to a 3800+, but there will be a big price increase.

Got to love cache. Can you imagine if the entire DDR SDRAM was integrated as part of the CPU??? WOW, that would be smoking. No lag whatsoever. The problem would be cost.

You got to have it. The cache on your CPU is the most important part of today's computing. The cache is a "very" (emphasize that) high speed and very expensive piece of memory, which is used to speed up the memory retrieval process. Due to the fact that they are very expensive, CPU's come with just a small amount of cache compared with the main system memory. Budget CPU's have even less cache, this is the main way that the top processor manufacturers take the cost out of their budget CPU's. Again, got cache?

Yes, but benchmarks show that extra L2 cache does not benefit the K8's in most circumstances.

My theory is that this is a result of the K8s' integrated memory controller, allowing much faster access to RAM than with other processors.

Anyway, for me, clock speed is most important to me for AMD's. Just decide single-core or dual, then worry about clock speed.

Got to love that integrated memory controller too. Isn't AMD just the best? I like them to do more with memory and CPU integration in the future to make the CPU even faster. Less pre-fetch info. and with higher clock speeds, they can dominate the market. That is, if Intel doesn't copy AMD which they probably will.

TRDCorolla said:
Got to love that integrated memory controller too. Isn't AMD just the best? I like them to do more with memory and CPU integration in the future to make the CPU even faster. Less pre-fetch info. and with higher clock speeds, they can dominate the market. That is, if Intel doesn't copy AMD which they probably will.

Here are some of the things that i want to be able to do on my desktop.
1. Edit movies/video and burn/copy dvds
2. Record music and mix it
3. Play games
4. Record and watch tv(a dual tuner would be a plus)
5. Edit Pictures

So i figure I probably need to have a powerful processor and a good bit of storage.

I am a multitasker.

I am also a college student so I need my pc to be able to handle other things i might need to use it for in the future.

Would you guys submit(email me) some suggested setups for my desktop.

Taco2004@cox.net

Ok, some people on this forum are bound to recommend Intel. IGNORE them. Intel are no longer the best at multitasking, video-editing etc.

I would recommend an AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+, 1GB Dual-Channel OCZ DDR400 Value RAM (2 x 512MB), and a 74GB Western Digital Raptor SATA-150 10,000rpm HDD (8MB Cache).

I can't really recommend you anything else, but since you're going to be working with audio, I'd recommend a sound card. I hear there's not much difference between audigys, so you might wanna go for the Audigy 2 ZS Value.

And if you want a quiet PC, take a look at the Thermaltake Silent PurePower Fanless 350W ATX PSU. Ok, you might think 350W is not enough, but it's a quality PSU, and Athlon 64 3800+'s only consume about 70W at full load. 1 Hard Drive, 2 sticks of RAM, 1 optical drive; they should be covered by it.

acphenom said:
And if you want a quiet PC, take a look at the Thermaltake Silent PurePower Fanless 350W ATX PSU. Ok, you might think 350W is not enough, but it's a quality PSU, and Athlon 64 3800+'s only consume about 70W at full load. 1 Hard Drive, 2 sticks of RAM, 1 optical drive; they should be covered by it.

350W isn't going to be enough. He said he want's to play games, so that means a 6600GT or a better vid card. And the minimum recommended for a 6600GT is 350W.

And the amd x2 will be the best for u since there are lot's of stuff other than gaming that u want to do. I'd also think about getting 2GB of ram.

Back
Top Bottom