Free Power Supply-- worth it or not

joelk989

Baseband Member
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817152019

0.00 after 19.99 mail in rebate + Free Shipping

do you think it would be worth it going out of the way to get this peice of crap or could you find a use for it..

Uses:

*Free Power Cable (in case you need a new one or a back-up)

*spare parts i guess

I wouldnt risk trying to use this on a system there were a few reviews where it fried peoples motherboards.

I wouldn't I have batteries w/ my power supplies, so my PCs are on for an extra 30min after the power dies, enough to turn them off or keep gaming.

Not much power for 12v rail. I'd go for something better , with 30 percent more power than you need.

If you don't have anything to do. Take it and resell it thats a good 15 bucks in your pocket if you can get a good price on ebay.,

+3.3V@26A, +5V@29A, +12V@11A, -5V@0.5A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.0A

Now observe closely. Old p2 and p3 ran primarly on the 3.3 and 5 volt rails so that kinda horsepower worked great for them. But today's modern cpu's run on 12 volts and the 3.3 and 5 volt rails run the memory and other aspects of the system. Also 12 volt powered, the drive motors in the optical drives and hard drives. Toss in 3 or 4 fans and dude 11 amps ain't gonna cut it. Where most buyers go wrong is they don't pay attention to the 12volt rail specs. Min 12 volt amps should be no less than 15 amps. More if you can get it. Allied makes a 400 watt psu that is a serious WORKHORSE. I have one of these. Gave $60.00USD for it though. But check this out>
1 optical drive
3 80gig hard drives
4 pci cards
1 stick of ddr400 ram
1 p4 2.4 with stock fan
1 MSI 7008 pt880LSR mobo
2 80mm fans
1 92mm fan
4 lighting kits
And this sweetheart of a psu isn't even breathing hard. Reason being the folks that designed this mule put the power where it needs to be. On the 12 volt rail. This one has 25 amps on the 12 volt rail. All the rest of the power rails have some serious booty too.
You get what you pay for...

Back
Top Bottom