My ridiculously expensive computer..to be

IHateDells said:
why would you need 6-8 gigs of ram in the first place? are you going to run nasa for a week or something?
yes......no really if you have worked with photo/video editing you do need that much ram, its a workstation remember not a gaming comp, so it needs more. I easily use up 3-4 gigs just in photoshop.

1. Why buy 940??? It's an old Socket. Get a Opteron for a 939 board, and a half decent 939 board like the DFI SLI-DR or the Asus A8N-SLI Premium if you've got that much money! The DFI SLI Expert Edition is also out in the USA. For the processor, I recommend a 146 or a 148, you don't really need for than that.

2. What is the point in 2 Raptors! Get a single Samsung SpinPoint (SATA 2), faster and way way quiter, and also cheaper!

3. The Quadro series are high-end developer cards. If you aren't a professional, or you are but not that 'professional', if you get my meaning (don't have hundreds of videos on the go at very high resolutions), get a 7800GTX or even a 7800GT - both great cards and will do what you want.

4. If you're going to get a load of RAM, buy 4 x 1GB sticks, and if the 940 board will only take Registered RAM don't buy it, it's a waste of money. Go 939 and get some normal stuff!

5. For the graphics card, get a 256MB version over the 512MB. The 512MB has no real improvement, and by the time games come out when all 512MB is used a new couple of generations of cards will have been released.

6. And finally, check out ViewSonic. They do a 20.1 inch amazing TFT (LCD), which is awesome!

Muhahahaaha!!!! I opted for the fx-57 since i game more than i edit, and i only do editting as a hoby. My real passion is designing car blueprints, which i do not need a dual core for, maybe in the long run ill build another computer.

IHateDells said:
i use 256 mb of ram running photoshop, but thats for picture editing not video editing
it depends on how heavy your photo editing is, i have used up to 4.6 gigs of ram in photo editing.

and that is one of my concerns with getting a socket 939 board because they only go up to 4 gigs of ram, which wouldnt leave the option of adding more ram or another cpu.

ya- i do not do that serious of photo editing.......im pinner compared to u i might have used 2.5-3.0gb maybe.....

Well, let me take a look around at some mobos for you and see which ones might support more than 4GB :D The RAM you have selected though, there's only 4 x 1GB sticks there...

yeah, i really want to go for the 939, but only there's only like one mobo that has more than 4 gigs of ram, and thats a crappy mobo otherwise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813127223

It means you have to go AGP, but there are 6800 Ultras going quite cheap out there, which would save you some money. It should support Opterons, and can have up to 8GB of RAM :D Abit are a great manufactuer, I bought my board off them.

You would probably be better off sticking with the Asus though, as the Asus board will be better quality and allow you to have 2 Opterons.

Back
Top Bottom