Gaming LCD..

draconum

Daemon Poster
Ok, well I'm planning on getting a 7800gtx, but I'm also wanting something that will take a load off my comptuer desk, so can anybody suggest a LCD worthy of gaming? perferablly a 19"-24" screen.

Chris

just make sure that it has a low response time. I don't think u need anything like 2ms, but ofcourse the smaller the better. And ofcourse the resolution that it supports, if u want to play games with high resolutions.

lcd are not good for gaming. they only go up to 60hz refresh rate, have a lower resolution, and everything gets blurry when u scroll up and down.

abowlofrice said:
lcd are not good for gaming. they only go up to 60hz refresh rate, have a lower resolution, and everything gets blurry when u scroll up and down.

The old ones are crappy at gaming, but there have been many good lcd's designed for gaming (like the 2ms ones) But yeah, crt's are still better for gaming.

abowlofrice said:
when was the last time u looked at an lcd? my dads one goes up to 75hz at the max resolution, anyway get a veiwsonic 19 inch one they have them with 3ms response times now

gaming_freak said:
when was the last time u looked at an lcd? my dads one goes up to 75hz at the max resolution, anyway get a veiwsonic 19 inch one they have them with 3ms response times now

I was thinking about that one. Anyways, I know crt's are usally perferd for gaming, it's just that I don't have that type of space on my desktop anymore. So if I'm able to get a lcd with uber low response time, I'll be good, unless there isn't a lcd worthy of gaming.

Chris

Modern LCD's are excellent for gaming, they just have a bad reputation because the original ones were terrible.

An 8ms black-white-black LCD can pump out 375 frames per second, and unlike crappy CRT's it refreshes the entire screen simultaneously rather then scannning up and down at 70Hz or whatever like the old school CRT. I doubt your Video Card can exceed 375fps?

However, make sure you get a high contrast ratio too (500:1 or better) as some companies drop their response time by lowering the contrast ratio. The contrast ratio represents the colour difference between white and black pixels, higher being better. 350:1 is ok for gaming, but a$$ for wordprocessing as the black/white difference is soo low.

As for brands: Viewsonic, Acer, NEC, ...

Cheers,
Mech

Back
Top Bottom