Pentium 4 desktop PC freezing unexpectidly. Help please.

solarwind.24

Solid State Member
I have a Pentium 4 processor with 128 mB of Rambus pc 800-45 ram.
I have used Various Operating systems on this machine including Linux
My current operating system is KNOPPIX LINUX (I have to use a small distrobution because I have very little RAM)

Regardless of the operating system being used, the computer seems to freeze unexpectidly. This is not a software/operating system problem or a virus. I have thouroughly checked the bios configurations and such. All seems to be fine. Sometimes the computer freezes after 10 minutes of use. Sometimes it freezes after 4 hours of use. There seems to be no pattern. When I say "freeze", I mean completly stop responding. The screen stays as it is but does not respond at all.

The motherboard is an Intel D850GB desktop board. (ATX power supply)

Can someone help me crack this case please?

I will appreciate all help

-- thankyou

Im not very smart.....but had a older comp and I found that it would freeze like that...some times after just turning it on or like 6 hours after.. I took the side off the case and put a big fan next to it and it stoped freezing. I think it could be heat but like I said im very dumb.

Hey, thanks for the tip. After you mentionned heat, I think that the computer tends to freeze when cpu power hungry applications run. I was in the middle of compiling a program in linux and it froze. But when i left it overnight when downloading linux CDs, it suprisingly did not freeze. I will try that. But I still think that there could be another problem.

P.S.

Where should the fan be focused? Should it be put closer to the CPU or the RAM or the PCI cards or what?

Well just make sure you like dont leave it open and your dog comes by and licks something inside .......... or for like dust and other objects.

I would prolby put it by the CPU or like the videocard....... just mainly get the air circulating (bad spelling).

I also tried to power up the computer without the cpu fan and heatsink on. Guess what, the processor chip got so hot in the first 3 seconds (literaly first 3 seconds), I could fry eggs on it. I burned my finger when I touched it, even before bios finished checking the memory.

Back
Top Bottom