Flash Drive Security

aekcj

Beta member
I'm new to this forum so please be gentle. I'm learning a lot about computers and HAD a flash drive until it got stolen at school (OK- it's my own damn fault... I left it in the usb port for 10 minutes until I remembered and I went back for it). I bought a new one yesterday and want to put password protection on it (all but one file which will have my contact info and a reward notice on it). I want to leave about 2 MB free space (unprotected) to make it useless to anyone who might take it- and to protect my files. It's a 512 MB. I would also like the software to be simple and free (that's not asking much, is it?) as I am very cheap (college student with 4 kids!). My old flash had a private zone and a public zone (it came with Secure D software), but the new one doesn't. I've downloaded Secure D from Crucial's website, but it will only install on the computer, it doesn't do anything to my flash, so it must be a different part of the program that came installed on my old flash. Any suggestions??
Thanks for your time and knowledge-
aekcj

welcome.
U could try some programs that are made for password protecting files in Windows. I don't know if it would work on a flash drive, but I gues it would. If not any other way then put that software on the flash drive. Then u could have like 1 folder in there (inside which is everything else) and a text file with ur contact info. This way when u try to open that folder it will ask for a password, and u can view the text file without a password.

If it works it will definitely make that folder unaccessible, but I don't know if it would prevent ppl from deleting it.

And I can't remember the name for that kind of program. But search around google, u should find something. And I'm afraid that most software like this are not free.

hmmm Encription formatting...dont know enough about it to say anything try googling it, what about simply creating a RAR (winrar like winzip but with more features) to the size of say 510meg, then simply drag and drop into the flash drive.

the problem with encryption via a program like that is then how do you decrypt it on the college computers then? rar would be a bit easier...

the pen drive I've got is lexar jumpdrive secure, and it allows encrytion of none/part/all of the drive via program on it. its very good! ebay £16 for 256mb

Back
Top Bottom