Should I get a dual core?

Lac3y

Daemon Poster
I want a new computer that can play all the latest games.

Will a dual core be better for this than a single core?

I don't do much multi-tasking, just listening to music and surfing the net at the same time, maybe with word or publisher open too.

Will a dual-core be a waste of money?

Nope, dual-core isn't worth it in your case. Better off waiting for multi-cores or at least socket-M2 CPU's.

A Sempron 64 would be best for your needs; preferably a socket-939 one if you can find one, with dual-channel memory.

Low-end Athlon 64's only offer extra cache and dual-channel memory support over socket-754 Sempron 64's.

See flash demo here.........

http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/dual-core/demo/popup/demo.htm

An Intel dual-core processor consists of two complete execution cores in one physical processor (right), both running at the same frequency. Both cores share the same packaging and the same interface with the chipset/memory. Overall, an Intel dual-core processor offers a way of delivering more capabilities while balancing power requirements, and is the first step in the multi-core processor future.

An Intel dual-core processor-based PC will enable new computing experiences as it delivers value by providing additional computing resources that expand the PC's capabilities in the form of higher throughput and simultaneous computing. Imagine that a dual-core processor is like a four-lane highway — it can handle up to twice as many cars as its two-lane predecessor without making each car drive twice as fast. Similarly, with an Intel dual-core processor-based PC, people can perform multiple tasks such as downloading music and gaming simultaneously.

In my opinion, get dual core. THey are very efficient and that is the keyword. Not only can you play games well on a dual core CPU, but you can be doing other stuff without lag (depending how much you are doing). It is known on a whole bunch of websites that a single core CPU such as an Athlon 64 FX CPU smokes the competition in gaming. Better than a dual core. If that's all you want to do is gaming, than the FX single core CPU will do you nicely.

For an all purpose CPU that does very well at everything, dual core is what you need. I love dual cores and I consider myself a gamer too. Read up on some of the dual core reviews regarding gaming and you'll find out that they are just as capable.

TRDCorolla said:
In my opinion, get dual core. THey are very efficient and that is the keyword. Not only can you play games well on a dual core CPU, but you can be doing other stuff without lag (depending how much you are doing). It is known on a whole bunch of websites that a single core CPU such as an Athlon 64 FX CPU smokes the competition in gaming. Better than a dual core. If that's all you want to do is gaming, than the FX single core CPU will do you nicely.

For an all purpose CPU that does very well at everything, dual core is what you need. I love dual cores and I consider myself a gamer too. Read up on some of the dual core reviews regarding gaming and you'll find out that they are just as capable.

Agreed.

Dual core is similar to Intels Hyperthreading except for there is 2 actual seperate cores so the performance gains are higher still. Dual cores enable the use of multi-threaded applications and future games are already being coded to take advantage of multi-core and hyperthreaded CPU's. Current encoding software as well as industrail software are usually coded specfically for mulri-threading enviroments. The added performance boast of being able to carry out two CPU heavy processes at the same time is also very significant.

Try out a an Athlon 64 3000+ playing halflife 2 and encoding a Wave to MP3 in the background and see your framerates drop to nothing. Do the same on a HT P4 or Athlon x2 and see the difference. Thats what the performance difference might be like on tomorrows multi-threaded programs on single core non HT CPUs.

It's the future, because Clock speeds aren't.

A HT P4 will also lag. Theres only 1 physical processor and 1 logical one on the P4.

I'd go for the dual core.

U get like an amd x2 4200+ it's enough to run all the games.
And it beats the crap out of any single cores in multi-tasking.

And soon there will not be single cores for anything. Even amd's next gaming cpu (FX-60) is dual core. It's going to be bye bye to the single core age.

ownage said:
A HT P4 will also lag. Theres only 1 physical processor and 1 logical one on the P4.

Have you tried it? I did, and is the only reason why I think HT is a worthy technology. One physical CPU, but HT adds an awful lot to it. It only dropped about 15 FPS from about 60 when doing the MP3 conversation in the background, the Athlon 64 fell to about 7 FPS from about 70. A huge difference. When running multiple programs at the same time, a HT P4 excels, and I mean two programs proccessing, not just sitting there being open and held in memory.

Different combinations of programs will have different outcomes, and your right, a dual core non-HT CPU will be better than a single HT core but thats not what where talking about. I was using this as an example pointing out how Muti-threading can provide a serious performance boost with the only experience I have.

Edit

Liten to what i've typed guys, I'm not saying go for HT, I'm saying go for Dualcores. I'm mentioning HT because I havent used dualcore yet but have HT so what am I ment to use as experience? Its the only thing I can relate to in this situation as they provide the performance increase in the same way.

No, don't get an FX. Definitely not worth their price tags.

Like connchri touched upon, software will be optimized for dual-cores in the near future, so if you have the money, you may find it better to go for an X2 3800+, but if you don't have near its price tag to spend on a CPU, then I'd say just go for a cheap Sempron, and wait for socket-M2, DDR2, HyperTransport 3 etc.

Back
Top Bottom