Xbox 360 and PS3 ...computers?????

The Cell processor that's going into the PS3 will (supposedly) be put into other devices, and there's supposed to be a big data network for all the devices to communicate. I donno, look it up on Wikipedia.

question: Has anyone heard about the ps3 online (multiplayer) interface.???or what Ps3 runs on, is it a version of linux??????

I haven't heard anything about it, but I hope they're planning something way better than the PS2 setup. XBOX has PS2 by the balls in that area.

You know what I invision?........

Buying a PC game, putting it in you're computer, restarting it, and having the game boot as it's own OS, just like those consoles.... all it does other than run the game is detect hardware... get everything working correctly, give you a manager to adjust a few things.. and thats it, goes off and runs you're game, NOTHING going in the background CEPT you're game.....

correct me if i'm wrong, but thats why consoles have weaker hardware yet perform quite decently... right?

Imagine a PC doing that....

Not quite. I mean, there's still an 'operating system' on consoles, but it's nothing like a PC OS. Plus, the reason games can run better on lesser hardware is because the hardware doesn't change. It's always the same hardware no matter what. There are other reasons, but this is the main one.

I see.... i'm sure this 'OS' in the console is much more simple and less demanding than say.. XP or 2K... makes sense...

The poll looks kind of funny. The XBox360 is out, yet hardly anyone's voting for them. The PS3, which is months away from release is getting a lot of votes. I'm not surprised PC is leading the way, being a ComputerForum and all.

MikeReiner said:
You know what I invision?........

Buying a PC game, putting it in you're computer, restarting it, and having the game boot as it's own OS, just like those consoles.... all it does other than run the game is detect hardware... get everything working correctly, give you a manager to adjust a few things.. and thats it, goes off and runs you're game, NOTHING going in the background CEPT you're game.....

correct me if i'm wrong, but thats why consoles have weaker hardware yet perform quite decently... right?

Imagine a PC doing that....

There would always be something running in the background. How would the cdrom be able to read the game all by itself? They'd have to have cd-roms meant for that, with some strange firmware. Either way, what you're thinking of is a console... such as the Xbox360, or the PS3, things with very little daemons in the background.

Back
Top Bottom