Need advice on buying Media Center 2005 PC

volcomssj48

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 PC for our living room. I'm looking for something that fits in with the living room environment (so therefor: quiet, good looks, etc.).

I've looked into a few so far, including the HP z556 and the Sony PCs (not their "Digital Living System" series, they're too expensive).

I'm looking to spend up to $1500 on this, which I guess means that I really have to do my research to get the best components possible since MCE 2005 Pc's usually run around the 2000's for a good one.

If you have any ideas or recommendations, it would be great. Also give your own experience if possible. Note, I am not looking for a vertical tower type of MCE PC. I'm looking for something like the HP z556/z558. I am also not anticipating building my own, although I am willing to do a few minor upgrades if that is needed.

For the specs of the PC, I am looking for something like this:

Intel P4 6xx or AMD Athlon 64. I don't really need a dual-core, but I do want a 64 bit processor, which I am sure the P4 6xx's are (and defineiely the Athlon 64s.)

1 GB Ram, 512 fine, but I will upgrade

At least 250 GB Harddrive. 2 x SATA Harddrive is favorable, but not needed.

Decent graphics card (ATI Radeon X500, nVidia 6600, around there)

At least 2 TV Tuners

BTX motherboard type for quieter operation, if possible

And definitely, the way it looks is important too. I dont really want one with windows or LEDs.

If you can offer recommendations or just your experience with MCE PCs, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Back
Top Bottom