Why is my Computer Suddenly overheating??

About your problem Mackenzie, I wouldn't worry about it. It should say it's at 42 celcius right? 100Degrees farienhiet isn't too bad, just don't overclock, or you'll have a fire on your hands.

you might have to reset the bios. maybe ur settings in ur bios changed, like the frequency or voltage or something.

abowlofrice said:
you might have to reset the bios. maybe ur settings in ur bios changed, like the frequency or voltage or something.

No. The bios has pretty much NOTHING to do with temperatures, unless your overclocking, or there is some strange setting thatmakes your computer run at intense temperatures.

HRHunteRHR said:
No. The bios has pretty much NOTHING to do with temperatures, unless your overclocking, or there is some strange setting thatmakes your computer run at intense temperatures.

the settings of the bios might have been changed, basically like "accidentally overclocking"

sometimes when you reset a cpu the bios will give you errors saying something is trying to be over clocked and really its more of a warning that don't do what your doing if its intentional otherwise don't worry about it. If you are going to post temps then post them in celcius even though most of us use fariegnhieght (I know its spelled wrong) in normal life in comp talking we use celcius. but 100 degrees f is not to hot by any means.. it can even be 120+ with full load but then u need to watch it. A Normal CPU shoud be around 30-39 just idleing, and no more than 60-65c with full load.. My p4 3.0 prescott (which are supposed to run very hot for pentiums) its about 39 with no load and 55c with full gaming.

Ok, thanks a bunch guys!

I'm getting a little confused... My computer works now, no freezing or skipping (still in the 40C range for temps on CPU) I put a different heatsink/fan in b/c I wanted to see if I could bring the temps down more and I noticed the skipping and freezing again! (by the way, just in case this helped: when my comp worked with no skips and stuff, I had put in TWO extra fans -- one on the chassis near the HD and one hanging down and facing the vidcard/mobo area. When I put the new heatsink in, I removed all of these because they were loud.) I restarted to see if the new heatsink was actually worse or something but the temps were DOWN to 33C!!

How can a heatsink/fan mess things up???

PS: On my BIOS load, I have System Temperature and CPU Temperature. What is a safe system temperature? I am averaging low 30s for system temp right now...

Please help! I have no idea what's going on... It was workin' fine for a while and now suddenly its back to skipping mode! It seems like the longer I leave it on, the shorter time I have to use it before it botches (and the longer I leave it off, the more time I have to use it...)

What is wrong with this thing??

If you can go to microsoft, download memtest.exe. it's a memory tester. If you can't find it on microsoft then just google it. Try testing your memory. Restarting on a computer can be caused by just about anything, heat, HD, Memory corrupt, motherboard screwed up somehow etc.... Put memtest on a floppy after downloading it and boot from the floppy, it'll run 6 tests continuously and it will tell you if anything is corrupt. Try doing a checkdisk on the HD. Have you heard any clicking or has the HD gotten louder recently? If so replace it. If not then you might want to look at your powersupply and upgrade. Then put all the fans back in so it can cool properly. After that, if you still ahve problems you might have to take it to get looked at or have one of your friends look at it with you. Somtimes it takes a new perspective to figure things out. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom