Low/Mid Range Gaming

If you want a good video card, somethign that you won't have to upgrade for awhile. Then get an X1800XL or XT or a 7800GT or 7800GTX. If you got one of those then you would be set for years to come. Orrrr...save up all your money for a tad bit longer. Because PCI-Express II is coming out in 2007. And that is going to be insanely fast.

acphenom said:
Yeah, but I'm not an overclocker and also, Opterons require registered RAM, don't they?

All Socket 940 processors do, but Socket 939 doesn't. The latest Opterons are Socket 939. Socket 940 is purely for server and workstations.

Sounds pretty good, alvino, but I've seen benchmarks which show that X2's are better suited to tasks like gaming, multimedia etc.

That's very interesting. More compatible Opterons for Socket 939. That's something to think about down the road. In my mind, I'm thinking the Opterons are just for Servers/Workstations, like the Xenon fro Intel. But if I see AMD promoting the Opterons for the mainstream users to go against their own Athlon 64's, there's going to be competition from within.

acphenom said:
Sounds pretty good, alvino, but I've seen benchmarks which show that X2's are better suited to tasks like gaming, multimedia etc.

True. But Opterons own at number crunching, like Super Pi or whatnot. They're also known in the overclocking community as insane overclockers. You can gain 1ghz+ on just the stock voltage. You could probably get even higher if you pumped a bit more volts into it.

Opteron 180 baby! Hehe...there was some guy who overclocked his Opteron 180 (dual-core) to 3.0ghz on stock voltage. I'll see if I can find the CPU-Z Verification pic.

all programs are written in code, which consisits of numbers and letters, thats where number crunching comes in.

Back
Top Bottom