AMD processor question

You can post what parts you want and I can give you my opinion on it. These days, there's so many new stuff coming out. But I'm sure whatever you pick will last three years easily. What helps me in my state of mind is this: think of what came out in the past and see how the technology has increased from that point. These days, a Pentium 2 is unheard of and that technology expired in 1999 when the P3 came out so that makes it like what? 6 years old? I would cut that by half because of software/hardware capabilities now.

ok here it goes...keep in mind i rarely game at all......Without the case and power supply i have to keep it under $650
thermaltake Soprano Black w/ side window
thermaltake silent purepower 480w
ABIT AN8-ULTRA Socket 939 mobo
AMD athlon 64 X2 3800+
Patriot signature series 1GB (2x512)
Hatichi Deskstar 80GB hard drive
Lite On black CD burner
eVGA Geforce 6200TC

Let me know what you think and how long it will last

That looks fine to me. You can still play games and do tons of stuff on it. If I were on a budget, that would be good. Maybe later on, you can upgrade the video card. I personally never used the Patriot RAM before but I'm sure it will do a fine job with your system. The Soprano is a nice case and I'm thinking of getting that too. It has two huge 120mm case fans in it for a gaming rig.

yeah...its amazing looking...i have it sitting in my room right now...it has 2 120mm fans..which are amazing plus a 90mm side fan....The people that were helping me said patriot ram is very good for overclocking...and if it isn't it really doesn't matter....I will most likely upgrade the vid card in a year or so...or when my friend does then i can get his old one....when i first made this i was thinking it was going to last at least 4 years becasue of the dual core processor i was getting....so now...excluding the video card how would you rate this system....low end 1-10 high end.....I'm trying to build the best computer i can right now and still stay under budget

I would say that your PC (in terms of how much you spend taken into consideration), it's a 9/10. Video card is good performer, but I wouldn't say it's high end. So I take it that this build is it for the next 4 years or whenever tempation takes over? I'm just about ready for another one soon, but can't seem to make up my mind yet.

so now....would the only thing that would get it to a ten be the video card???....or do you suggest something else with the hardware....I'm open to any suggestions

To be a 10, you would really need to beef up your RAM. Some high performance RAM would be nice along with a better video card. For the RAM, something along the line of the OCZ Gold or Platinum high performance series or the Geil ONE high performance RAM. VIdeo card, I'm getting confused with all that Nvidia has out now. They got all these crazy XT, GS, TC, LE, etc that throws me off.

I'm not saying that your system isn't good, which it is, but for a perfect 10 in my opinion, it would have to be better in those areas.

I see what you're saying...i really want to get better RAM .....the only problem is that I don't know where it'd be safe to lower the price of my system....I mean..if you have an extra video card sitting around you don't use anymore..i can surley put that to work for you...that would give me about $60 more to work with...but if you have any input on lowering my price a little let me know

You could try to get a cheaper case than the Soprano. I have a very generic case for my rig (Aspire case with Acrylic window). It's like $40, but works great. Comes with a power supply and never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom