AMD's 2007 Quad Core release

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
AMD confirms quad core chip in 2007. It will originally be a quad core server processor but the design will gradually be carried over to desktops and notebooks!!!! Yeah, baby. The cores will be linked by a revised type of HyperTransport bus and will use the M2 and F sockets expected to arrive early next year. Intel in anticipation of AMDs plan, also plans to introduce a quad-core Xeon in the first half of 2007. Unbelievable. CPU wars continue...

If I get this system, i will install Windows 3.1 lol

God...this PC is way to powerful now!

I hope the OS can keep up with this. Yeah, here we are talking about how nice dual cores are when quad cores is already a reality. Can you imagine how fast it would be? Imagine doing a lot of heavy duty stuff all at the same time. No slowdown or bottleneck. Each core dedicated to doing it's own thing, theoritically. One thing for sure, you will see Windows become tons more stable with this technology.

"The server version of this chip will add a third level of cache memory to AMD's processors, allowing server designers to build systems with 16 and 32 processors, Hester said. Previously AMD's customers had been limited to building eight-processor Opteron servers because of the difficulty inherent in coordinating cache memory requests within multiprocessor servers. Cache memory stores frequently used data on the chip close to the CPU, where it can be accessed much more quickly than data stored in memory."

"http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/15/HNamdopt_1.html"

Let's suppose they run at 3ghz: 32*3=96. Enough said? Nope. On the opteron 8 series, when you put a cpu expansion board on a server board with 8 8xx opterons, you can put 128 gb of memory. Imagine how much you can put on the quad core 32 processor config...

PS: The 8xx supports 8gb per core, now if the new series supports that, then your looking at 1Tb of total system memory.

No, you can't add the CPUs together. If you'd had 3GHZx32 CPUs, it will be like:

3GHZ x 32 = 3GHZ x 32

As for the memory, the bench would be 256-2TB depending on board. 1EB of HDD at most...

TRDCorolla said:
I hope the OS can keep up with this. Yeah, here we are talking about how nice dual cores are when quad cores is already a reality. Can you imagine how fast it would be? Imagine doing a lot of heavy duty stuff all at the same time. No slowdown or bottleneck. Each core dedicated to doing it's own thing, theoritically. One thing for sure, you will see Windows become tons more stable with this technology.

Dude by 2007 they probobly won't even be needing to stuff a bunch processors in one machine. They will get loud from multiple fans cooling they system, they will take ALOT of RAM and other system resources, they will need like an 800watt power supply, the motherboards will have to have super abilities, and you will HAVE to have SLI. Knowing the computer industry, they will overcome this buy making one POWERFUL processor that has a nice steady core. Besides, people will be moving on to Linux for their multi-processing and server needs, Windows Vista is a last stand for Windows I'm affraid. People will want better software for their super machines when they realize Windows can't use their hardware efficiently for their new games and software, they'll get an easy linux distro like SuSE for their comps.

They need to move on to light technology. That should seal it. No more electric impulses. Everything's done by transmitting light across the bus for extremely fast access time and reduce heat.

TRDCorolla said:
They need to move on to light technology. That should seal it. No more electric impulses. Everything's done by transmitting light across the bus for extremely fast access time and reduce heat.
They're working on something similar to that, actually. It's still a long way off, though - lots of issues to sort out with it.

Back
Top Bottom