new Ram for old computer...?

Half Evil

Golden Master
yeah my parents have a dell dimention 4300, and its very old, with 40gb, hard drive, 1.5ghz p.4 processer, and 256 ram. i beleive that its sd ram, and everything in the computer is stock, so does it matter what kinda ram is replaced in the computer, as long as its sd ram. but wether it be like 400mhz, or 533mhz ect...does that matter, or anything else..?

ok..and i tell that how..? but i actually was refering to latency speed differences in that last post...

Latency won't matter.

There's a lot to be gained from going from SDR to DDR400, but probably not important in this case.

no, not really, but i really want them to upgrade the computer, but i guess a 12 dollar stick of ram will do, lol...im just trying to find now, how much ram this beast will hold, lol...

yeah, but one question. How do i tell how many pins connecting to the computer? or does that matter how many pins? because i found some ram on newegg for like 12.99 so yeah...cause that was like 164 pinn connector or something, and there is also 184, i think, and 246, or what ever...

SDRAM is 168-pin I think, and DDR is 184.

You can't run both SDRAM and DDR in the same machine though. I suggest just sticking with SDR unless you need the extra performance and the cost is too much.

oh ok, thanks, so because this machine has a 1.6ghz p.4 processor, how much ram should i get, because sd is cheap as hell...and i bet it can at least hold a gb...

<EDIT> can i have 768 mb ram?

Cheap?! Last time I checked, it was considerably pricier than DDR RAM.

You should be able to have 768MB RAM, cause most old Athlon motherboards supported up to 2GB.

Back
Top Bottom