Low/Mid Range Gaming

CPU : (939-pin) AMD ATHLON64 3200+ CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology
MOTHERBOARD : (Sckt939)EVGA nForce4 SLI Chipset SATA RAID Dual PCI-E Mainboard w/GbLAN, USB2.0, &7.1Audio
MEMORY : 1024 MB (512MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY (Corsair Value Select)
VIDEO CARD : NVIDIA Geforce 6600 256MB 16X PCI EXPRESS VIDEO CARD
VIDEO CARD 2 : NONE
MONITOR & LCD : NONE
HARD DRIVE : 160GB Hard Drive (SATA150 - Hitachi 160GB 7200RPM 8MB Cache -- Recommended)
Hard Drive 2 : NONE
Optical Drive : (Special Price) LG GWA-4161 16X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BEIGE COLOR)
Optical Drive 2 : SONY 52X CD-ROM (BEIGE COLOR)
SOUND : HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Better? Worse?

I would stick with the 3000+; I doubt a 200MHz increase in clock sped will better performance by a considerable degree.

The memory is fine, the video card is decent, the HDD is good.

You might wanna upgrade to a sound card, such as the Audigy 2 ZS Value.

OK thanks for the help so far.

How long will it take for this to be obsaleet(lol sp)? I want to be able to play games that come out in the future.

I really couldn't say, but with SLI and Crossfire out, and the GeForce 7 series being apparently a lot better than the 6 series, I'd say that it might last you for about a year, maybe longer.

But I think the focus is on CPU's, and for games to support multi-threading, so maybe graphics won't be that important.

looks good to me. the video card might last about a year, but it will be able to play all the games out there today.

i would wait if i were you. The M2 is supposidly releasing next spring, but you know how AMD is on top of things...

Just get something and stick with it. If you want to wait for the best technology, you'll wait forever, because computer technology advances at an amazing rate.

Back
Top Bottom