Want to try Linux...

joxley1990

Golden Master
Ok, yeah, I want to try Linux, but do not want to overwrite XP installation, just want to look at linux and have a fiddle with it. Never been on it, so havent clue what to do, where to get it...someone explain the process to me please, and which version I should get?

Ubuntu is a great linux to start with. It doesn't overwrite xp. Gentoo is good too, but I have more experience with ubuntu, so yeah. Just go to their site http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ and download (or order the CD for that matter)(shipped free) and then install it and choose the option to not overwrite xp.

the best way to test out linux is to download knoppix or kanotix.. both are totally on cd so you dont have to install anything.. just find an iso, burn the image to disk restart computer set bios to boot from cd, and pop the cd in, knoppix is great as a utility and a os. kanotix is just knoppix with a few minor adjustments also a lot better if you want to install it as a normal os. There is also a live copy of mandrake that can boot off a disk that can be downloaded at www.linuxiso.org, But you would like knoppix better.

Oh yeha, I forgot to mention that if you order Ubuntu, you get a test CD too, where, like met said, you just pop the CD in and you can run the OS off the CD.

Ok well ive downloaded Ubuntu and it is an iso file, do i just burn this to disc and boot from cd? and will this overwrite xp (I REALLY DONT WANT IT TO!!)

joxley1990 do u even read the replies? Well just incase u didn't notice it I'll quote it for u.

jac006 said:
Ubuntu is a great linux to start with. It doesn't overwrite xp.

No, any version of Linux will wipe Windows if you tell it to install on the Windows partition. I know Ubuntu is Baby's First Linux and completely joke-easy to use, but it's still possible to screw things up if you don't think them through.

You'll want to create another partition for Linux, the installer will talk you through that.

Better still, get a second hard drive, wire it up as slave.

Ok, ye i'll just create a new partition...

How do I write iso files to disc..when i try it says some files may be lost..

Back
Top Bottom