Is your PC Windows Vista ready?

TRDCorolla1

Golden Master
Basically, your system need to be "The Bomb" if you plan on upgrading to Windows Vista. Here are the basic you should have to run this new OS. Keep in mind that this seem overkill for some of you and may or may not change:

-2GB RAM
-64Bit CPU (I think it's safe to say we all have that) :rolleyes:
-PCI-express graphics card with minimum 128MB of onboard RAM
-SATA with Native Command Queing
-Monitor that supports high definition playback

Seems a lot I know. Also, Microsoft plan on releasing 7 flavors of Vista ranging from an "ultra stripped down version" for third world countrys to a full featured "ultimate" edition with all business and multimedia components included.

Seems steep, but those specs from the PC-World magazine are said to be "in flux". But the new Vista is said to be VERY promising. Tons of new stuff coming out on it and is considered a MAJOR upgrade from previous OS's.

It's the next operating system by Microsoft. Windows XP is considered old school now. It will be a huge upgrade from XP. A completely revamped OS.

Ohhh , so basically they renamed longhorn, or is that seperate
i heard about the new OS, never got a name for it tho,
i dont hav pci-e !!!!!!!!!! or maybe i do
lemme check
yea i do
any word on when it comes out?>

You know, I think that is definately completely incorrect TDRCorolla. I don't think you need those spece to run it, I think that could be what PC-World says would make it run best.

There's a good chance it may be incorrect. I know that it will be demanding on resources though. Windows XP specs are pretty high too during it's time. FInal specs are still to come so PC World is (like you said) giving us a nice cushion for their power hungry OS.

I heard about the 8 versions.... that's hilarious. I could always go 2gb later on when it gets cheap. I have a system that almost matches that, except for the 2gb part. 8 versions... haha... Starter Edition, which like XP Starter Edition, is a crippled (and lame) product aimed at the two-thirds world. It will limit users to three concurrent applications, and provide only basic TCP/IP networking, and won't be suitable for most games. The next step up is Home Basic Edition, which is really the sibling to today's Windows XP Home. However, as the name suggests, there's also Home Premium Edition, and this is where we start to split features like hairs and create a gaggle of products. HPE will build on the the Basic Edition by adding, most notably, the next-generation of Media Center capabilities, including support for HDTV, DVD authoring, and even DVD ripping backed up (of course) by Windows DRM. For non-corporate types, this is probably going to be the OS that most people use. It's similar to XP Pro in power, but with all of the added bells and whistles for entertainment. Well, most of them. Windows Vista Professional Edition won't occupy the same spot that XP Pro occupies today, because this time it's truly aimed at businesses. It won't feature the MCE functionality that Home Premium Edition has, but it begins to provide the kind of functionality you'd expect in a business environment, such as support for non-Microsoft networking protocols and Domain support. But don't expect too many businesses to necessarily turn to PE. Microsoft is also planning both a Small Business Edition and an Enterprise Edition, which build upon pro by adding (seemingly minor) features aimed at appealing to each market. SBE, for instance, includes a networked backup solution, while EE will include things like Virtual PC integration, and the ability to encrypt an entire volume of information.

Last but not least, there's Ultimate Edition. ey, I'm just glad that they didn't call it Extreme Edition:
The best operating system ever offered for a personal PC, optimized for the individual. Windows Vista Ultimate Edition is a superset of both Vista Home Premium and Vista Pro Edition, so it includes all of the features of both of those product versions, plus adds Game Performance Tweaker with integrated gaming experiences, a Podcast creation utility (under consideration, may be cut from product), and online "Club" services (exclusive access to music, movies, services and preferred customer care) and other offerings (also under consideration, may be cut from product). Microsoft is still investigating how to position its most impressive Windows release yet, and is looking into offering Ultimate Edition owners such services as extended A1 subscriptions, free music downloads, free movie downloads, Online Spotlight and entertainment software, preferred product support, and custom themes. There is nothing like Vista Ultimate Edition today. This version is aimed at high-end PC users and technology influencers, gamers, digital media enthusiasts, and students.

Back
Top Bottom