Need help with Apple!

swamp_rattler

Baseband Member
hello all!
first off, i'm getting a new computer/laptop very soon. i'm only familiar with windows, and have no idea what to expect from apple (also called mac, right?).
anyways, i've heard that apple was more stable and less susceptible to viruses than windows; therefore i am now considering an apple. would i still be able to use yahoo messenger and aim to talk to my friends? would i be able to use a router to gain access to the high speed internet we have downstairs on our window computer (wide open west internet)?? any drawbacks about apple that i need to know about??
i was considering an apple imac g5 or a 17" powerbook.
thanks,
Jared

yes you would, and if there wernet programs that were straight compatible with macs, they have emulators so you cna run windows.. however downside is.. ITS A MAC, GET A FREAKING windows os centrino laptop... that whole apple business is marketing.. dont fall into it!

swamp_rattler said:
hello all!
first off, i'm getting a new computer/laptop very soon. i'm only familiar with windows, and have no idea what to expect from apple (also called mac, right?).
anyways, i've heard that apple was more stable and less susceptible to viruses than windows; therefore i am now considering an apple. would i still be able to use yahoo messenger and aim to talk to my friends? would i be able to use a router to gain access to the high speed internet we have downstairs on our window computer (wide open west internet)?? any drawbacks about apple that i need to know about??
i was considering an apple imac g5 or a 17" powerbook.
thanks,
Jared

K the problem with MACs is....

They aren't upgradeable.
They cost wayyyy too much money.
They can't do ANYTHING.
They are media machines that can barely play any games.
They are always getting smaller and stupider.

However, they ARE 64-bit. But so are AMD 64's.

Just please dont get a MAC PLEASSEEEE!!!

HRHunteRHR said:
K the problem with MACs is....

They aren't upgradeable.
They cost wayyyy too much money.
They can't do ANYTHING.
They are media machines that can barely play any games.
They are always getting smaller and stupider.

However, they ARE 64-bit. But so are AMD 64's.

Just please dont get a MAC PLEASSEEEE!!!

Your an idiot...
Macs are probably sometimes more usful then pc's. Not only do they have next to no viruses for them, they're great for video editing, photoediting, sound editing, etc. When the new intel macs come out they'll probably be able to run Windows Vista as well. Plus Mac just run faster then Pc's with the same clock speed, why you may ask? Well it's because all the graphics processing is offloaded to the graphics card, sound to the sound card, etc... They try and use the Processor as little as possible, thus increasing the speed the computer runs at. Plus small is better in my opinion, unless you one of those guys to likes to see who has the bigger internet penis.

Edit:
Also to answer the guys question, Macs will run msn, aim, not sure about yahoo, but yes they are more stable and less susaptible to viruses. But fi you like to game a bit, wait untill the new intel macs come out, because then Macs will quite possibly be able to run windows as well as Mac so you'd get the best of both world.

Chris

draconum said:
Your an idiot...
Macs are probably sometimes more usful then pc's. Not only do they have next to no viruses for them, they're great for video editing, photoediting, sound editing, etc. When the new intel macs come out they'll probably be able to run Windows Vista as well. Plus Mac just run faster then Pc's with the same clock speed, why you may ask? Well it's because all the graphics processing is offloaded to the graphics card, sound to the sound card, etc... They try and use the Processor as little as possible, thus increasing the speed the computer runs at. Plus small is better in my opinion, unless you one of those guys to likes to see who has the bigger internet penis.

Chris

Yea the COU wil lrun faster definately, but only because they are such a pain to upgrade, but they dont have any REAL graphics or sound in them, it's all bs. I mean that new ATi card is the only video card I've ever seen for MAC's.

"They're PROBOBLY, SOMETIMES, more useful than PC's".

Yea for VIDEO EDITING, because only graphics cards they have are like 39057230947209347274930 dollars and are MADE FOR IT.

I HIGHLY doubt MAC's will be running Windows Vista. http://www.winsupersite.com/faq/vista.asp

So what if your computer runs fast, why have a fast overly expensive computer that cant DO ANYTHING. If I want to surf the internet and listen to music, I can get some cheap cable internet and a 200$ laptop off ebay.

No, I'm not an idiot.

Ok, first of all, you clearly hate apples and wish to never change your opinion about them. You seem to think that they suck from your standpoint, well from ym standpoint, if you put a pc up to a powermac, having them cost the same, ran them through the same tests, the powermac would kill the pc. I also must say that it's most likly that the new intel macs will be able to run Vista, if you don't believe me, try checking out some rumor sites. But really, don't be no narrow minded, this guy is interested in getting a mac why call him stupid for thinking about it just because YOU don't like them.

Chris

yeah man, again it all depends on what you want to do with the new rig. my friend recently got one for first year university, and he said he hates it cuz he cant play his computer games.. lol. i was personally going to get one.. but i'm not so sure anymore and i'm now leaning back to the windows laptops.. but yes it's very true that mac's are 99.9% virus free and stall less than windows os

thanks for all the replies...i don't plan to play computer games, so that really isn't a factor. i do like take lots of pictures, so photoediting capabilities is pretty important...
also of course, i love browsing online, talking to friends, etc... whether i get a laptop or not depends on which new job title i'll be getting.

Back
Top Bottom