dual boot windows xp & 98

Vesna

Beta member
Hello...I'm having a problem setting up my computer to dual boot with windows 98SE. The computer came preloaded with windows XP and I purchased an IOGEAR USB2.0 hard drive to serve as a separate volume for windows 98. I formatted it for FAT32 then loaded windows 98 onto the USB hard drive by copying the CAB files from my windows 98 CD and using a start up diskette. Trouble is, when I boot as windows 98, the devices attached to the computer don't seem to be recognized: modem, network card etc. The IOGEAR USB hard drive isn't recognized as a USB removable storage device either but seems to be recognized as the fixed drive. IOGEAR provides a driver for winsows 98SE, but I can't load the driver because of the device recognition problem.

Any advice?

My computer is IBM8084 with Celeron D processor c/w
Conexant HSF modem
Intel(R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection

Well, as no one has replied to my problem, I'll post a reply myself: I've since discovered that 'you can't boot from a USB hard drive'. Can anyone confirm that is in fact true? Most websites I've looked at state that it is not, but a one or two seem to say maybe...

In light of this, my other option is to partition my internal hard drive, load windows 98SE then load XP in separate partitions. As the computer was preloaded with XP from the manufacturer, can anyone confrim that I'll be able to load XP from the recovery disks I've created without overwriting the 98 that I just loaded?

thanks in advance
:)

It will tell you before you install windows 98, It will ask if you want to Overwrite, anyway, as for the Usb Hdd i dont think you can.

Anyway, I aint sure but i really highly doubt it because of the wires, it want be connected write for it to load date.

Sounds strange but maybe you can.

Anyway good luck dude.

hi, my sytem is dual boot xp + 98se, but both systems are on the same drive.
i used partion magic + and boot magic, and have no problems booting on either system.
the only problems i have found is getting 98se drivers for all my hardware.

i remember reading somewhere it is very complex to dual boot with 2 seperate hard drives.

"continueing post"

for example i used to have knoppix 3.9 on a jump drive (lite version) and the workstations I would have to fix a lot supported booting from a usb device.. same idea so I know its possible. like I said though.. couldn't do it with every mobo. usually just those workstations that were all the same.

Back
Top Bottom