Linux Question

Nexius

Solid State Member
Aight everyone! Got a linux question for ya! I'm building a new computer and I'm going to be using linux as the OS. Ive never used it so obviously I'm new to it, so my question is can you run most windows based programs on linux? I heard you could, i just wanted to make sure. So, thanks in advance for your help!

Satori said:

The correct answer would be, depends on if you want to be spending your spring break on it (like I did with trying to get a no-steam counter-strike 1.5 Extreme Edition installed). :p I was up for 4 nights with no success.... I was even using the best of the best, the Cedega transgaming utility, which unfortunaetly is still charging us. After my father died a few months ago, I told my mom to leave the 15 dollars a month fee on her card because it was going to the Open Source community, dad liked that.

You can't run basic windows apps, however you CAN run apps that are like 10 times better than windows apps. For the best media-based instalation that also takes hold of the 64 bit technology, go to www.gentoo.org and burn yourself a disk of the latest OS and prepare for a test of your hacking abilities. If you want to stick with the easy stuff, go and either download or buy a distrobution of SuSE.... Google it, www.google.com, I'm too lazy to give you the links. :p

Lol thanks guys! What about games and stuff? Like MMORPG's, cause those are my favorite things to do, can I still play those? Cause there .exe files so.

I don't get why people would even want to run Windows programs on linux. Is it really that hard to dual boot? God, it seems to me some people just like causing themselves headaches.

Satori said:
I don't get why people would even want to run Windows programs on linux. Is it really that hard to dual boot? God, it seems to me some people just like causing themselves headaches.

It's because linux operating systems are far superior to Windows operating systems, and are way more stable and use media hardware to its full potential. It just seems like it's hard because the games that you want to play on linux are games like half-life 2, counter-strike, and others. Doom 3, FarCry, Unreal Tournament, and many other games that aren't AS popular all have linux installation patches and don't require any emulator. Plus, Linux configures your system perfectly, and every bitof software you get is configured for YOUR hardware. It isn't nVidia or ATi, it's a Sapphire Radeon x800GTO, or a BFG FX5500 company OC'd, all with the model numbers and best drivers.

The downside is that Linux actually requires you to think and know that you could destroy it all with one random imput in your terminal (shell-script command line), which is why people use Windows.

Yes ... it really just depends ... you could use WINE or Cegeda to try and run some Windows applications (I haven't had much luck myself) but other than that, you can't ... there are prorgams which you can almost always find which are a Linux alternative to Windows software, such as Open Office instead of Microsoft Office, GAIM instead of your IM client and Thunderbird rather than Outlook Express ...
Dual booting is also an option, one which is easier as well :)

Dude Open Office RULES! It's such a nice office suite and it's completely free! Problem is that I can't keep windows on one computer long enough to take the time to download it... lol. GAIM is ok, but there is one that comes with most basic KDE desktops that RULES. I think it's called KIM or something, like you know how everything in the KDE is called "K-something"? It's a really nice one, you can configure it for alot of basic IM clients. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom