What do You guys think of this computer?

palladin the II

Baseband Member
Best Buy is offering a Gateway 830 for 1250$

pentium 4. 3.0 dual core
2 gb expandable to 4
320 hard drive
6200 video card 256 mb
400 watt psu

what do you guys think? its for video editing and stuff.....good price? i need an already made one so this is where im at....

I like to have a better video card than that for video editing. I'm sure you will get by ok with that though. Looks good. Why does Gateway leave such little space for power? 400watts? Oh man. For those specs, it will run fine though. Just don't upgrade too much with that...

It's ok... but... the pent.d, as said by intel themselves, was rushed into production. It's just great for just normal usability, but it just doesn't compare to an x2. Gateway's are ok, and with 2gb of ram it isn't too bad. The thing is... a lot of D's are going on sale now because of the cheapiness. If I were you, I would wait for the m2 mobo's come out and get an amd then... but, if you absoltely must have this comp, which I think is alright, then, by all means, I can't stop you, go right ahead. It'll last you a while, maybe 1-3 years, depending on advancments, but, as I said earlier, intel themselves said that the D cpu was rushed, so yeah, go figure. The reviews I've read on that cpu aren't bad, but they're not that great. It's fine for normal usage and video editing to an extent. If you want to go hardcore video editing, nothing does it like a G5 mac with 8gb of ram in its dual core cpu. lol.... yeah.....

great replies. thanks. im looking to use it for 2 years max. In addition, I have my own psu that is 500 watts i bought last month i never used (dont ask). I was gunna put that in there and then get a 7800 in a couple months when price continues to decline....good idea? i hope gateway isnt proprietary, i hate that.....

No, the mobo's will work well with nvidia cards. You should be able to upgrade the psu..... I would definitely get a 7800... indeed....

so, should i go with this adnd my evil plan or do i fork over an extra 400 for a Dell 3.6 GHZ? Are gateways good?

You know for 1250, you could probably build a much better computer.

Especially if you going to get a 7800 anyways.

which computer is better for the money?? the Sony?? their video card is week though, no? and usually proprietarty...also, the gateway has so much memory and hard drive space for the money...2gb, 320 ram.

palladin the II said:
which computer is better for the money?? the Sony?? their video card is week though, no? and usually proprietarty..

Most prebuilts have something proprieatary. My recommendation is forget prebuilt and go homebuilt. I presently have three Sony's but plan to go with a homebuilt very soon, system will be buiklt around an AMD X2 CPU and an ASUS Mobo stuffed in a LIAN-Li case. Have a couple more eye surgery's and after that I'll place my orders.

Back
Top Bottom