A Less Bias Way of Looking at the Next Gens

I think Ps3 And Xbox are both crap.

Its not the specs, its how you want the game.

I want it online (Ps3) and be able to have mp3 songs on, and the internet, not much to ask for from most console gamers.
Anyway, this thread will have a argument soon i bet, so who ever made it.

WELL DONE (not)

spank_fusion said:
In my opinion, it's not the specs of the consoles - it's the games that make a console great. I think if Halo never existed, the XBox would not be nearly as popular as it is today. Also, even if a console is not graphically adequate, the games can make it better than a newer console (compare NES to Genesis or Playstation to Dreamcast). It's not about how shiny a game looks; it's about how fun it is to play.

True, it's mainly the games that make a console great. That's the only reason why the PS2 sold so many (and they had their fan base from the original PlayStation). They had a bigger library of games and even though it wasn't as powerful in hardware compared to the Xbox, they had a bigger choice of games. Sony's philosophy was that software, not hardware was important.

But that was the year 2000.

Now look at Sony, and they're definately singing a different tune. Ken Kutaragi (the "Father" of the PlayStation) can't even keep his damn mouth shut, keeps bragging around about the PS3's hardware and you haven't even heard a thing about software (like online services for example). Now wait a minute...wasn't this the company who said in the year 2000, that software, not hardware was the most important thing? Now, Sony can't even shut up about the PS3's hardware superiority. Somehow I just get that feeling that they're arrogant and hypocritical. Ugh...

I could go on about this, but I'll spare your eyes for now...

You read blueray and you think more disk space. This much is true. Now the speed that you need to cache the data off the drive to have decent gameplay is going to be incredibly fast. This is not yet achievable with the blueray. Dvd's are fine. Its smaller, but the speed it can be read at is wayy faster. One is a refined technology, one is brand new. Ones good for movies, ones good for games.

So just because u read blueray, dont let it sell you.

Thats true, I hadn't taken that into account. Good point

And yeah alvino, Thats how it normally goes. What it comes down to is belittling your opponent so you appear superior. First: "We have better software than them" Now: "Now we caught up with their hardware! Go us! its so much better now!"

I still don't know what I'll get, If any. I might be content with pc gaming and a PSP, who knows. I know someone who's getting a PS3 no question about it, And another friend that has the 360 paid for ready to pick up on the 22nd. I'll end up going over to their houses and playing theirs until I decide lol

alvino said:
Now look at Sony, and they're definately singing a different tune. Ken Kutaragi (the "Father" of the PlayStation) can't even keep his damn mouth shut, keeps bragging around about the PS3's hardware and you haven't even heard a thing about software (like online services for example). Now wait a minute...wasn't this the company who said in the year 2000, that software, not hardware was the most important thing? Now, Sony can't even shut up about the PS3's hardware superiority. Somehow I just get that feeling that they're arrogant and hypocritical. Ugh...
I see what you mean, but Sony has to do something about how much Microsoft is touting the specs of its system. That's what the XBOX has mainly relied on - physical specifications. Microsoft tries to appeal to the tech crowd by making it well-known how their system performs. Sony is just competing with that. Besides, they already have the software base as it is. They don't need to focus on it as much now. Keep in mind that I'm talking about advertising here and not development. Of course Sony should still keep up the good work in that department! :)

Dested said:
You read blueray and you think more disk space. This much is true. Now the speed that you need to cache the data off the drive to have decent gameplay is going to be incredibly fast. This is not yet achievable with the blueray. Dvd's are fine. Its smaller, but the speed it can be read at is wayy faster. One is a refined technology, one is brand new. Ones good for movies, ones good for games.

So just because u read blueray, dont let it sell you.

Oooh!!! BluRay and it's big storage space...there's been reports that the BluRay drive is 4x or 8x, which is pretty slow and when you add up the search times to find data, that would be worse than HD-DVD. HD-DVD is a more economical way to go because it uses the current process to make DVDs, which means that mass producing HD-DVD's would be way easier than making BluRay discs which require a completely different process to make.

The thing that makes people think BluRay is better is the storage space. The drawback is the search and loading times because the read head has to do more to look for that data in such a big space (it's kind of like how big hard drives tend to be slower because it takes longer for the read heads to find the data).

Back
Top Bottom