Hard Drive Question

kevin o.

Baseband Member
My moms friend's computer quit working, and shes gonna get a new one. but the problem is that she has all of her pictures on it. im told that every thing is saved on your hard drive. if so can i take out the hard drive, and put it in a different computer, and save the pictures to a disc of some sort. and also where exactly is the hard drive located. Thx for your time.

okay, i really don't want to be mean, but you should find someone who knows what they're doing to do this, if you don't even know where the harddrive is (no offense) but even so, if the computer quit working and it was pre-assembled (meaning she didn't put it together herself) then it was probably a software error, in which case you wouldn't be able to retrieve the pictures, but if it was a hardware error, then you could possibly get the pictures.
like I said i don't mean any disrespect :)

if u still want 2 tho the hard drive is located at the bottom right of the computer usually. It is a metal box usually if that helps lawl..

Be sure to shake the drive a bunch and bang it on the floor a few times so the pictures will float to the top.

yeah u can take the harddrive out and then put it to another computer. It's a really simple thing to do, u just take it out (2 wires connected) and then connect it to the other computers 2 wires (same kind of wires ofcourse).
And that's it. Then just start the computer and copy the pictures to the other harddrive, or if u want u can just leave that harddrive to the new pc so u will have more storage space.

Computergen said:
What if they are different interfaces?

since she is getting a new computer instead of getting the old one repaired so the old one must be quite old. And most old computers use IDE harddrives. And new mobos do accept IDE devices.

So the interface shouldn't be a problem.

Back
Top Bottom