6800gs question

Feircepc

Daemon Poster
ok since the new 6800gs came im i was planning to get a 6600gt but now for a little more i can have a 6800gs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150118

i plan to get that one since is already OC'ed. now im also getting a new mobo being mine doesnt accept PCI-E x16

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123257

now if i put my amd 3400 in there would it b ok with the 6800gs? and if later on i get two 6800gs will i see an improvement in gaming or anything? because some people say my processor will bottle neck my video cards is that true in a way though? but basically will i see a performance difference i got two 6800gs. because later on when i get the money i will be getting the m2 socket for my gaming pc and putting the fx 57 on this pc. so then ill have three pcs.

The difference between the 6800 and the 6800GS is that the GS supports pixel shader 3 etc, I do believe, which is from the 7 series. It's a cheap solution to give you 7 series features without having to buy a 300 dollar card. Your processor wont bottle neck a single 6800GS, but you might not see as much gain as you could from having two. However, your processor would overclock nicely if you ever chose to. If you're going for a FX-57 though, I really recommend getting a single 7800GT... the performance gain for 100 bucks is amazing, the 7800GT is really a great card, without being 500 bucks like the GTX, and will be in par with the FX series chip..

All the 6 series support shader model 3.0 since the lunch last year , even the 6200 is a shader model 3.0 part. Its nothing like the 7 series , its based on the 6800GT core if i am not mistaken.

DO NOT SLI 6800GS. IT'S HORRIBLE IN SLI.

That being said, the 6800GS is a great card by itself, it's as good as the 6800GT but a bit cheaper.

why is it so bad in sli? i mean technically i still would see and feel an increase in performance though right?i actually am getting a cheap water cooling kit from thermal take for this pc being my other one already has a nice one.

Well, the performance gained simply isn't worth it. Compare the 6800GS SLI with the 7800GTX. You can basically get either for about the same price. The FPS difference is drastic.

well i dont plan to play many games. i just want to play halo on this pc with bf vietnam and return to castle wolfenstein and maybe some others. im getting a temprary agp card for right now but will there be any improvements in the gs? and what single pci e card should i get then thats around 200-250 i dont really wanna spend this much on my pc im just gonna use in college for 4years.

Back
Top Bottom