NewVid card power supply problem

Arsenal1

Solid State Member
Alright, I just purchased a leadtek 6800 but I havn't been able to try it out yet. It seems everything is compatible with my comp but I've run into a problem. It says (the vid card) it needs a minimum power supply of atleast 350 watts. It overlooked this because I didn't think it would be a problem being that my computer is new. When I opened my case my computer said it has 300 watts.

What will happen to it when I'm playing a game like doom 3? Is it going to slow down or something? I thought about shipping it back to Newegg after I try it out for a week, assuming I can do that, and buying a 6800GS since a pretty much bought the 6800 a day or two before the GS came out (bad timing and luck). Even though the spec sheet on the newegg site says nothing about a minimum power supply for the GS cards, I checked on both the Evga and Leadtek site and it also mentioned the 350 minimum power supply. Am I going to have to get a whole 'nother power supply unit just to play a few games? If I do it looks like more time researching for me :(This is turning into a real headache.

Thanks for any help, if you all want to read all of this :)

If you run out of juice your system will most probably reset while your playing Doom3 which would be very annoying. BUT sometimes your PSU will be capible of holding up, i have run a 6800GT off of a 320Watt PSU before with no problems.

So its up to you weither ya risk it for a lil while and see what happens (and save alot on Doom3) , or you purchuse a new 450+ watt PSU , there quite cheap now around £40 for a decent one.

So, when you say "risk it," will this actually damage the card itself if it cuts off in the middle of me playing a game?

Well, I guess Newegg wouldn't take my card back if it got damaged when I was trying to see if it would work right with my comp. Guess I need a new PSU if I want to have something in the 6800 range. This really blows...

the Fortron AX-500 is under 100 dollars on newegg last time i checked. Good budget psu.

Will that work with my computer, is there anything else I need to know about that PSU? One of the reviewers said it had a PCI-express connecter. I guess thats my main need right now...

Back
Top Bottom